Chicken in Almond Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
This is another one that sounds really interesting. I think the cinnamon and cloves add a nice touch (I hope you folks that don't lke cinnamon and cloves don't mind) and should provide an interesting depth of flavor.

Gallina en Pepitoria
Chicken in Almond Sauce
Yields: 4 servings

1 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
2 t garlic, minced
3 ½ T olive oil, in all
½ c blanched almonds
1/3 c unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
one 3 ½ - 4# chicken, cut into pieces
3 large Roma tomatoes, diced
2 c water
1 cinnamon stick
6 whole cloves
½ t salt, or to taste
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
2 t freshly squeezed lime juice
2 T finely minced fresh parsley, for garnish

Sauté minced onions and garlic in 1 ½ T of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until limp, about 6 minutes. Remove onions and garlic from the heat.
Meanwhile, grind blanched almonds into a fine powder in an electric blender or food processor.
Mix together flour and pepper in a shallow bowl. Rinse chicken pieces under cold running water, then pat dry with paper towels. Dredge chicken in the seasoned flour and shake off excess.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown chicken thighs and legs on one side, about 5 minutes, and then turn them over and add the chicken breasts and wings. Continue to sauté all the chicken pieces until they are golden brown, about 6 minutes per side.
Stir in reserved onions and garlic, ground almonds, tomatoes, water, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Bring the chicken to a boil, covered. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender, about 35 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to a warm ovenproof plate or baking dish, cover them loosely with aluminum foil, and keep warm in a low oven while you prepare the sauce.
Skim the fat off the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and cook it, stirring frequently with a spoon, until it has reduced to 1 ½ c in about 8 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and remove it from the heat. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves from the sauce and discard.
In a small bowl, quickly whisk together eggs and lime juice; whisk the mixture into the sauce until well blended. The sauce should thicken instantly. Return the chicken pieces to the sauce and serve at once with steamed white rice. Garnish with minced parsley.

No, I haven't tried this yet. I think it's Italian, but lime, cinnamon, and cloves sound kind of odd for an Italian dish.

Back
Top Bottom