Pumpkin Apple Streusel Cake Recipe--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
This was a wonderful fall dessert I tried for the first time yesterday. It's like a blend of pumpkin spice cake and apple crisp together! While it's really nice with vanilla ice cream it's just as good on its own, or with a dusting of powdered sugar.

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Cake

Apples
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups diced peeled cored Granny Smith apples (about 4 large)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cake
11/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup (firmly packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs

Vanilla ice cream

For apples:
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté until apples begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and cinnamon and sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes longer. Cool.

For cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Combine flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside 2/3 cup of mixture for topping. Beat pumpkin, sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, spice, and baking soda into remaining flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Beat in eggs. Transfer batter to pan. Scatter apples evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved topping over apples. Bake cake until topping is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides from cake. Transfer cake to platter. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Copied/pasted/saved, PA! Thanks!! It is definitely Fall here and I can't wait to try this.

Pumpkins and Apples

PA, happy I didn't miss this one. Boy, this sounds almost as good as the plum cake. When the weather gets cooler everybody looking for dessert. I know they will appreciate your offer. Thanks.

I made this cake last night. It is so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!!

I don't own a springform pan so I baked the cake in an 8 inch square glass pan. It worked fine. I also didn't make any adjustments for high altitude.

It IS pretty - and we topped each hot piece with vanilla ice cream...I just might have a piece for breakfast!! :LOL:

Glad you liked it, Callie! And yes, I know from experience, that it's very, very good for breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee! :LOL:

That is one awesome looking pumpkin dessert! The pic alone is making my tummy sing :LOL:

I wonder if I might add a few nuts (like pecans or walnuts) to the streusel topping, and/or try it with pears in place of the apples if I had tons of pears kicking around.

This sounds so amazing- I just have to make it some time this week- Thank you sooo much for sharing the recipe!!!!Love and energy, Vicki

PA Baker said:
I think some toasted pecans would be a very nice addition, piccolina! Pears sound very interesting too!:chef:
Thanks PA :) The word "toasted" in your post made me think of toasted pumpkin seeds. I've added these to crumble toppings on muffins a few times, and being a pumpkin dessert I wonder how they would taste on top of this lovely cake?

callie

callie said:

I don't own a springform pan so I baked the cake in an 8 inch square glass pan. It worked fine. I also didn't make any adjustments for high altitude.

Thanks callie, I had a springform pan at one time but must have borrowed it to someone and now I don't have it anymore. I do have the 8 inch as you do so this is no reason to delay fixing this recipe. It is one I surely am definitely going to try. I am grateful PAB always offers such super recipes. Thanks all.

pumpkin apple

callie said:

Thanks callie, I had a springform pan at one time but must have borrowed it to someone and now I don't have it anymore. I do have the 8 inch as you do so this is no reason to delay fixing this recipe. It is one I surely am definitely going to try. I am grateful PAB always offers such super recipes. Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom