How can I tone underarm and upper thigh areas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Since I am the only one who really notices this, I am going to jump out here and ask! I have been doing all kinds of exercises, but none of them ever seem to tone the underarms or upper thighs. I don't have personal trainer who would pinpoint these areas. I do notice when I see people on tv their upper arms are the same as mine. When I wear short sleeves I notice that that part is not firm as it once was. Is this something to do with age you think? Oprah has the same problem and yet I know she has the best trainor around. Does anyone know of some exercise that would help with these areas? And have you had what you would feel success? Also does the weight you have around the middle from having children ever go away or is this were surgeons come in?

yes, the babay weight goes away! You just need to do proper crunches on your abs.

As for the upper arms, here's something you can do at home in front of the TV:
Buy 4 hand weights (Target has some), 2 that are 5 pounds, 2 that are 10 pounds.
Don't use the 10s till you're used to the 5s!
1. Stand, with a weight in each hand. Keeping your upper arms parallel to the floor, and your lower arms perpendicular to the floor (so your arms are at a 90 degree angle), start by going from this position to extending your arms completely over your head and touching together. This will form a triangle, if you are doing it correctly. Try it in front of a mirror to get the hang of it. Do this 20 times.
2. Stand, with a weight in each hand. With elbows straight, lift your arms till they're parallel to the ground (you'll look like an airplane). Hold this position for 3 seconds, and then slowlly return to parallel to your body. Do this 20 times.
3. Stand, with a weight in each hand, and extend your arms, like an airplane. From this position, bend your elbows, so that the weights touch high, in front of your chest. Do this 20 times.

Repeat these exercises 3 times. Remember to breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth!
I'll try to explain more later on, but this is a good start!

Good luck!

Please don't ever go to a surgeon for cosmetic purposes, the less you're under the knife the better! I have a cousin who is a very successful cosmetic surgeon and he thinks it's ridiculous himself! Anyway, have you tried doing tricep excersizes? Take a dumbell (even 5lbs is fine) and (follow along here) bend over at the waist to form a 90 degree angle between your torso and legs. Place one hand on something to support you. With the other arm have your upper arm parallel to the ground (sortof behind you) and bring your lower arm back until your arm is fully extended. GO SLOW! The slower you do excersizes the more benefit you get from them IMHO. I've worked with quite a few people who wanted to get rid of the "underarm swing" and this was very successful. I have also worked with others where this did nothing for them except strengthen their triceps. Anyway, worth a shot. For upper thighs, have you tried doing any adductor/abductor excersizes? I would recommend going to a gym and using their machines for these excersizes, they seem to be the most effective. If you have a physio-ball (yoga ball) you can also squeeze the ball between your knees, again going slowly especially on the relaxation portion of the excersize. That will work the muscles between your legs (the adductors) and to work those on the outside of your legs sit in a chair about a foot from the wall (so you are parallel with the wall, not perpendicular) and put the physioball between you and the wall and press out with your knee compressing the ball between your knee and the wall. These are some of the more simple things I thought of, I'm sure there are many more people with different opinions and maybe something that will work better for you! Everybody is different!

Last thing, if you are working out or trying to lose weight the absolute best thing I have ever come across is .................. drink more water! Seriously, drink between 1-1.5 gallons of water per day or more! This will boost your metabolism, boost digestion (better conversion of foods in your intestines) increase energy and a slough of other benefits.

Last edited:
here are some more exercises targeted for triceps (side, back part of the upper arm just below shoulder)...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exerprint.php?Real=%3C%3D+7&Name=&MainMuscle=Triceps&Isolation=&Equip=&order=Name

In addition to the advices of jkath, try to vary the speed of the motion in each sets, (i.e. super slow, 4 counts each up and down, 2 counts each, or 1 up 3 down etc...) make sure to always control your motion, never use the momentum and swing the weights around.
Also if flabs are issue, you need to incorporate some aerobic activity to control your body fat percentage. There are some fun group exercises (also you can do alone with a video... space in your home permitting), biking, jogging, swimming... unfortunately there is no such thing as "spot reducing", and you have to train your entire body not just one part. It will take sometime, but don't get frustrated if you don't see the change over night. Make the exercise enjoyable (put on your favourite, motivating tunes on the back ground, bring in a friend...), the more fun the training is, the more likely you will stick with it, and that is the absolute key!! Good luck 2 ya!!

Don't forget to do your cardio in addition to the weight/strength training that others recommended.

Wow

Geez, this is giving me something to experiment with. Didn't think I would get any response as exercise is something people don't care to really think about. They are different than just regular push ups that I thought was cure all. I will give them a try and see if I am not past help. There are times when I want to scotch tape the excess to make it seem less but the tape wouldn't hold. I thank you all for the time and happy you all know what to do. I knew someone out there has success.

In total agreement with the cardio!
You ought to balance your training, so you have cardio one day, arms the next, legs the next, and back to cardio.
PS: something to do regularly: every single time you go to the market, the mall, movies, etc...park as far away as you can. This will force you to walk much more than usual. Sometimes I'll park in the back corner of the lot, and take the long way around. Put a pedometer on the waist of your pants and see how much you walk. (Make sure to set it accurately before you start) And, each day, try to increase your mileage.

And, most importantly, keep us up on your progress. Having a bunch of people to cheer you on is really motivational!

Sizz 'n jkath

I feel so grateful that you both take the time to respond to my dilemma. Yet at the same time I feel I am worth it. We all want to maintain our health and that is our goal here. To eat right and most of all exercise the best way we can. I appreciate your thoughts and time and want you to know I am not taking this attention for granted. Only a way to help each other go from one day to the next.

Sizz, you are in my thoughts and prayers always. Be STRONG and know that 'this too shall pass' jkath, I always look to your posts for helpful and well meaning exercise workouts. Thankful you so conscious of maintaining discipline of workouts which I know isn't easy.

It is truly gift to have friends who want to help. Thank you all so much.

My concern is that depending on you current level of strength the 5s may be too much to start. Be sure your form is correct to reduce the chance of injury.

Try pushups. Lots of them. Do flat pushups, Hindu pushups, dive-bombers, hands-together, fingertip pushups, etc etc. This will work absolute miracles on your triceps, biceps, shoulders, back, neck, even your abs.

Trust me on this one!:)

I started out with 2# weights and worked up to 4#. I'll eventually transition to 5# but won't go any higher than that. And Kitch..........you know I'm in your corner just as I know you are in mine. I really do feel better after I exercise.....especially after I go for a power walk. With the change of season coming there's going to be some beautiful scenery........thats a definite mood booster in itself. Stay strong!

put arm up and slip on a sleeved shirt or blouse and that will take care of the flabby upper arm showing. Guess thats what most women do. Never see Oprah in short sleeves.

Thanks for ideas

I will have to study this thread which I started and do appreciate all of you for all your responses. Does the heart good to have people comment about personal problem one has. Speaking of hereditary my mother had same trouble but wasn't concerned with so many kids to think about. Anyway, the people at that time didn't talk about flab, you think? I just started noticing when someone pointed it out about someone on tv. I then realized I had the same thing .Don't know when it happened! I really think exercise does play part in body as well as health. I am not taking the depression pills as the doctor suggested and I feel good about getting to walk, as you suggest. I feel like I receive internal shower when I sweat a lot. Purify the toxins in the body.

Thanks all and you too Sizz, we got to stay strong! Amen? Keep on keepin' on, we'll make it.

It really surprised me to see how many of you comment. I felt so embarrassed to bring it up. Now I don't feel so bad anymore. Made a difference.

thumpershere2

thumpershere2 said:
put arm up and slip on a sleeved shirt or blouse and that will take care of the flabby upper arm showing. Guess thats what most women do. Never see Oprah in short sleeves.

After studying all the information, this one truly appeals the most to me! I have seen Oprah when she ran her marathon without any help, makeup or fitted clothes and she did look like there was some flab but not bunch. She sure looks different when she goes on tv without makeup. Guess we all need help.

I was doing pushups Rob, maybe got to do them twice as much. You have any flab?

jkath, I am going to get the weights. You think Target has them? You are always helping with letting us know where to go. Thanks. Sizz, are you using the weights for walking or exercise the arms?

I see some people walking with what look like ski poles. Why are they using them? Is that better than weights?

I haven't seen Oprah directly for some years but is she STILL going on with those "she's THIN!!--oh no now she's FAT!!" cycles?? If she does please don't use her as any kind of measure for your training/weight control, such a yo-yo swing is one thing you NEED TO AVOID. You need to find a routine which you can comfortably follow continuously as well as being effective.

I recommend against using additional weights on any kind of aerobic activity. When you exercise with weights, you need to pay full attention to control your motion and not to use any momentum, and it is difficult to do so while you are jogging or doing some aerobic classes (unless it is a specially designed lesson like body pump or total tone system)... also too many repititions and with the same movement can only exhaust your musle groups, and it can sometimes cause an injury. Do weight training and aerobics separately, it is much more effective.

Last edited:
Hey......I just use the weights for my arm exercises now. When I started out walking after that 1st week I started walking with 2# hand weights but I found I was focusing on how my arms were swinging in conjunction with my leg strides and it got very annoying and I felt it was taking away from my concentration so I gave it up.

I found my weights at Kmart. I also found a pair at a thrift store. I'm sure Target and WalMart carry them also.

Good Luck...........I'll think of you while I'm walking!

ITK, jkath's exercises will do wonders. You can even do them without buying weights at first - just use a couple of unopened soup cans and work your way up to some bigger cans of pureed tomatoes!

Weight work (in addition to aerobic activity) is definitely the answer. Since everyone describes it differently, I'll tell my favorites even if I'm repeating.

Take one weight in both of your hands, and lift it over your head. Keep your elbows as close to your ears as possible. Slowly lower the weight behind your head, then lift it back up. Repeat.

Put one foot ahead of you and lean over. If you have a weak back, support yourself by putting your palm on your forward knee. Have a weight in the other hand, and keep that elbow close to your body. Lift the weight behind you. There are many variations -- stiff arm, raising and lowering the weight behind you slowly. Or raise the weight as far behind you as you can, then pulse it a little, or just hold it there for awhile. Or combine the back movement with a forward one and turn it into a biceps curl as well.

You can start with as little as a couple of pounds and work up, but don't push it. And DO NOT go fast. With the exception of pulses (very small movements) you should always do weight work slowly. The downward movement should never be "dropping" the weight, but be equally as stressful as lifting the weight.

Oh, another good one, without weights, was a favorite when I was on the road. If you have a table (I used picnic tables when we were traveling) that is sturdy enough, back up to it, and lean your weight on your palms. Do backwards push-ups off of the table.

Sometimes it is worth it to put up with the sales pitch to take up your local gym on their free weeks. It is a p-in-the-a to listen to them, but quite often you'll get some good instruction. Just make sure you tell them you want to learn about "free weights" (which is what you probably have at home) and aren't interested in the machines, so you get what you need to work out at home!

I was the first woman I knew of to learn to use weights because using military gyms, the guys always thought I'd be good at it. I'm not in the best shape, but I don't have flabby underarms or inner thighs, in spite of being overweight.

Pilates is a great program for this as well.

Good luck. You'll never regret keeping your body in motion.

p.s. I pretty much agree against using weights with aerobics, especially leg weights. I have used hand weights when walking, but really feel the benefits are better if you use one, then the other. It is so easy to injure yourself using weights with aerobic activity.

Back
Top Bottom