Computer Geeks please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I have located a virus on my computer. Its called Java/ByteVerify and I know there is a patch for it on MS update. HOWEVER, I can't seem to find it to download it. I can find all sorts of things that seem to lead me there, but never actually find the download page. Can anyone help me?

I also apparently have another virus that my scanner can't get rid of because it is embedded. Is there any hope or should I just shoot this baby and put it out of its misery?

Oh Alix!!! You know MY opinion...sorry to hear about this though! I have no suggestions unless youll consider the nice burial we can give it!

Hi,

This is Paul, Trish's husband. You have given very little information--and different companies have different names for malware. However I assume you are discussing a common virus which symantec refers to as "Trojan.Byteverify". Please see this page for information/instructions:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.byteverify.html

Broadly, you will need to disable system restore (assuming you're running XP),
Update your virus definitions.
Boot your machine in safe mode (by pressing F8 repeatedly upon reboot), and then
Run a full system scan. Then reboot your system in normal mode.

After that, go to the Windows Update site and get all the latest stuff, which includes a new java virtual machine which fixes the original vulnerability.

Make sure you have good antivirus software. Norton antivirus and McAfee are known to be quality tools (there are others also).

Paul

Alix I have gotten that Java Byte Verify virus a few times. Go to THIS site and post a message. They will have you download a program or two and post your results. They will then walk you through the steps you need to get rid of the virus. There people are very knowledgeable and helpful. Just make sure to follow their instructions EXACTLY.

THANK YOU! You are all so helpful!

Paul, I am printing out your instructions so I can do as you suggest.

GB, trying Pauls way first, then will try yours if this doesn't work.

Raine, and urmaniac, thanks so much for posting those links. I sure appreciate it.

I have the Express install thing going on so I don't even worry about that. And I have both AdAware and Spybot that I run religiously. This sucker got in thru email it looks like, and every scan I run crashes!

OY! Glad you're still here with us. There's a convoluted method I've tried when everything else fails, but it's a last resort. Has something to do with going into safe mode, scanreg - & going back to a future registry date. Probably won't get rid of a virus. A tech walked me thru it on the phone once, but I don't recommend trying this at home. They know what they're doing. Hope you can get it worked out, Alix.

ME TOO! The &^$%$))&$^%&% (insert own bad words here) machine crashes with every different scan I try! Fortunately the guys at the site GB recommended are very helpful and encouraging. They tell me this is the malware attempting to keep me from removing it and to keep trying! I will post updates as I am able.

*NOTE* If I disappear for some length of time you will know what has become of me. I will go to the library to get here so y'all won't miss me too much! Heehee!

If all else doesn't work, Call your PC's company they will walk you through the steps to destroy it plus get rid of any other problems you might have. This will cost about $50.00 though, but it will fix all problems.

P.S. write every step down so if it happens again you will know how to fix it !:cool:

Last edited:
GB's URL

I read all the suggestions here, they all sound good. GB, I'm particularly interested in that website you posted - saved it to review later. Thanks! Sandy

pdswife said:
Make sure you have good antivirus software. Norton antivirus and McAfee are known to be quality tools (there are others also).

Paul

I found this, it might help, but I have to agree with Paul on this one.

First, what Operating System are you running? (Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP...) There are different approaches based on the OS.

[Let's get technical]

If your running 98/98SE your file format may be a 16 or 32 bit File Allocation Table (or in geek-speak, FAT-16 or FAT-32) or possibly even (though less likely) an NT File System (or NTFS).

You can find our what kind of file system your running by opening Windows Explorer, RIGHT clicking on the C: drive and selecting Properties. This will open a window telling you what you need to know about that particular drive. This works in all the Windows platforms.

img_170082_0_ab7345316c4901896e485c5a8eb814f6.jpg

If you are running FAT-16 or FAT-32 your in high cotton. You can borrow a friends computer and visit http://www.mcafee.com and download a rescue disk thatyou save to 3½" floppy, place the floppy in your computer at home BEFORE TURNING YOUR COMPUTER ON!!!

This floppy will then will boot it's-self (rather than booting to your infected OS and activating the virus) and will then scan your drive before the virus has a chance to kick in. This dosen't work with an NTFS file system though.

If your running Windows 2000 it could be 50/50 but if your running ME or XP your most likely running an NTFS file system in which case unless you can kill it manually your at the mercy of the virus scanners.

Personally I reccomend McAfee which also incorporates Hurestic scanning (scanning for unknown virus patterns) and keeping it up to date.

God Bless

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
Yes.. equip yourself with antivirus asap... Norton is the one Cristiano promotes in his business, we use it and very effective!

Back
Top Bottom