Cooking ribs on a rotisserie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
Anyone have a good recipe or cooking suggestions for spare ribs slow cooked on a rotisserie in a gas grill? I figure the fats will baste the meat longer and you wouldn't have to lift the lid to turn the slab over.

One sauce I brushed on them when pretty much done was a combination of orange marmalade, lime juice, horseradish, and I think hot chili paste. I didn't do this on all of them because I was afraid we wouldn't want them all to be kind of sweet.

This is also a good finishing sauce and recipe.

1 c Catsup
1/4 c Apple juice/cider
1/4 c Apple cider vinegar
1/4 c Soy sauce
3/4 ts Garlic powder
3/4 ts White pepper
1/3 c Grated, peeled apple
1/4 c Grated onion
2 ts Grated green pepper

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Baste with about 1/2 cup of apple juice while cooking. Add sauce last 15 minutes. I'm always amazed what a great flavor apple juice gives bbq and ribs. My water pan always has apple juice in it versus water.

I recommend you check to make sure you can keep the gril temp low enough with the lid closed to do the ribs low and slow. You should be cooking around 225 F. My Weber won't maintain a temp that low unless I leave the lid propped open. Then you can't really smoke in there because the smoke escapes.

Andy, I can prop the hood open an inch or two and still accumulate smoke. The rotisserie is high enough to remain in the smoke. I figure on keeping them over the heat for about 2 hours. I also planned on using some hickory chips for smoking. Gonna do this for din din tonight.

At what temp do you plan on cooking them at? Don't think they will be done or tender in 2 hours.

I went to the same "school" as Raine - I smoked mine for 5 hours and they actually could have used 6. They were the really big beef ribs. If you can get a hold of Hickory chunks (I buy mine at Lowe's or Home Depot) and sometimes the grocery store they have a much better flavor than the chips. I soak mine in some apple juice too. At 2 hours they are still going to be very tough.

I also echo using wood chunks to chips. Wood pellets are a good alternative to chips as well.

I did decide to use chunks instead of chips. The grill is smoking away as I type. It The ribs have been on for about 2 1/2 hours and the meat is just now starting to pull away from the bones. It smells fantastic! I soaked my chunks in beer. One for the chunks and one for me:)

I figure I'll give them another hour and peek in.

Any suggestions for a side or two instead of baked beans or corn?

Oh, and it's raining out so that helps keep the grill temp down. Right now it's hovering around 150 to 175.

That's a little low. Great for cold smoking, but 200° to 250° would be better.

Well, I had the ribs on the grill for 3 hours then bumped up the temp to around 250 for another hour. They turned out fabulous. I don't have time right now but I'll post the recipe for the rub I used. I did them Memphis style. Wow! What a great rack of ribs they were. Served them with beans, slaw, and cuke salad.

Thanks for the update, and glad they turned out for you.

Take any pictures?

You know... wifey said to me "This food is picture worthy of any cookbook. They look fabulous!

Man, they really did look good. I presented them on a bed of parsley and a few candied orange slices (I just thought they would look good as a contrast) on an oval plate.

I usually take pics of my presentations but didn't this time. Oh well. Go figure.

BTW... Here's the recipe for the rub...

2 Racks of beef (2 1/2 to 3 pounds each)
3T Sweet paprika
2t Hot red petter flakes (a bit too hot for my taste. I cut it in half)
2t mustard seed (I used mustard powder)
3t Coarse salt
2t Black pepper
2t Brown sugar
1t Celery salt
1t Garlic powder
1t Onion powder
1t Dried oregano
1t Cumin
1C Distilled white vinegar

Mix all dry ingredients, reserving 2T for mop sauce.

Rince & dry meat and remove membrane from back of slab.

Sprinkle dry rub over both sides of slab, rubbing the seasoning into the meat. Let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Grill at low temp until desired doneness, meat will pull away from ends of bone. Ribs will pull apart with fingers.

Mix vinegar with remaining dry rub to create a mop sauce. When ribs are done, transfer to a clean plate, sprinkle remaining dry rub and baste with mop sauce.

Voila

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom