Too Many Numbers, Not Enough Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Anyone else notice this? It's a relatively minor but yet annoying issue.

I paid bills this morning. Aren't your account numbers getting longer, and isn't the time between the arrival of the bill at your house and the due date getting shorter?

Why do all these account numbers (that you have to write on your check) have so many more digits these days?

And it seems like we used to have 3 to 4 weeks' notice (from when said bill arrives in the mail), but now it's more like 10 days or even only a week.

And no - I don't do the pay on-line thing. I'm just old-fashioned enough to want to touch the paper and then file it.

I noticed it too!
Of course with the IRS, half the time I get my monthly payment notice AFTER it's due!

Probably because everything is handled by the accounting firm of Dimwit, Dimwit & Sons. I do most of this junk electronically & normally? it takes 1-2 business days to be deposited from my account. I have noticed one payee (in the same state, a few cities away) will now take 5 days to clear. Makes no sense. My dues are the only thing that have to be mailed - & yes, they don't send out the notice until the last week of the month. (It's due on the first of the month.) Since they're the last holdout & insist I include a stub, check, write account #s etc, etc. - I mail the check early without the stub & let them figure it out. :-p All my info is already on my check, duh. Keeps them occupied. (Sorry, I personally don't care for the management company.) Perhaps it has something to do with bank procedure. I think it's part of a huge plot to drive us crazy - or until we can't remember our S.S., address & phone # :ROFLMAO:

You know I'm kidding, right?

Last edited:
Mudbug, join the bandwagon and do the online thing. You can still get your paper bills and file then. I still do that. It is so much easier to do it online and it is very safe and it even saves you money. It also saves you the headache if you ever forget about a bill and all of a sudden it is due in a day or two, well you know the mail won't get there in time, but online it probably will. I have not noticed my account numbers getting longer because since I do my bills online I just entered the account number once and that was it.

Give it a try Mudbug. Pick on bill to start with and try it for just one month. Remember, you can always go back to the old way if you decide to.

Mudbug:

I do this too. It's really as easy as they show you on TV. I pay all my bills online from credit cards to real estate taxes, water/sewer charges and condo fees. I rarely write a check anymore.

The only cost is whatever your bank may charge and many offer it fro free.

Andy and geebs - I'll think about it. We've got a weird cash flow thing going now because HH and I don't get paid on the same Fridays - there's a paycheck coming in every week now, and I'm still getting used to that!

DH is retired and on Medicare, but I'm still on a policy from his employer. He must send the payment on my insurance by the 15th of the month - HOWEVER, sometimes they don't deposit the check for 3 weeks or more. At times another premium has been due without the old one having cleared. I certainly don't understand their method. This is an international company. We are almost always wondering did the payment get there or not.

Back
Top Bottom