Non-plastic steamer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dicedtomato

Assistant Cook
Our Krups vegetable/rice steamer is due for replacement. But my wife doesn't want another plastic steamer because she's afraid they might have harmful chemicals. She also doesn't want an aluminum steamer (not sure why).

Are there any good steamers out there that aren't plastic or aluminum?

DT

Yikes! :shock: No plastic.... no aluminum???
Tell her that the ONLY other steamers left are lead!!! Then.... is will look at the plastic & aluminum as great alternatives! ;)

What about stainless steel? Do you get the expandable basket type ones in your country? Or the chinese bamboo ones, they are fine for general use as well. And if she prefers "natural" that would be the way I would go. You can get them in a huge variety of sizes, from little bitty ones to huge ones and you can stack 'em as well. They won't last as long as stainless steel, however, they are cheap enough so that you can replace them yearly. And when they are no longer fit for steaming the look ok as fruit or display bowls as well.

Which stainless steel steamers do you recommend? We need a machine with an automatic dial setting so her fumble-fingered husband (me) can steam dinner. I notice Zojirushi has a stainless steel steamer.

DT

kyles said:
What about stainless steel? Do you get the expandable basket type ones in your country? Or the chinese bamboo ones, they are fine for general use as well. And if she prefers "natural" that would be the way I would go. You can get them in a huge variety of sizes, from little bitty ones to huge ones and you can stack 'em as well. They won't last as long as stainless steel, however, they are cheap enough so that you can replace them yearly. And when they are no longer fit for steaming the look ok as fruit or display bowls as well.

I'm in England, so I brands are way different here. I meant one you use on the hob/stove top rather than an electric model. Perhpas one of the other listers can give you more specific advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom