praying mantis help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentmeow

Senior Cook
Don't know exactly where to post this but I found this large female mantis munching on a cricket. Mantis is the size of a little finger and about 1/2 inch thick in the belly. I put her in a good sized bug box with her dinner. I'd love to keep her and have an egg casing to hatch next summer. I purchased egg casings several years ago, hung them in the garden and was totally captivated watching them hatch! Will she make the casing and lay eggs in capticity? I don't want to endanger her but would love to experience the whole process. Any information would be appreciated. You are all probably right, I need to get a real life!!!!!!

Wow, how cool is that!!
She will probably still lay her in captivity as long as she is in her normal like environment and she has food, but, I'm not sure. Do they need their mate around, I wonder?
Let us know what happens.

usually that's what they do texas.
silent try a google and see if you
can find anything on that. i for one
do not know. wish i could help you
out more.

You may want to keep your mantis in your garden - I'm afraid she won't produce an egg casing in captivity. (Or so I've heard) Do you have a screened porch perhaps? My grandma always kept her mantises in the many hanging plants in the screen porch. This way we could watch them, and they'd think they were out in the wild. This is probably the end of egg season for them, as most garden stores are running low, if they have any at all left. Do keep in mind though, they are somewhat territorial, and if they like your garden, they'll stay for quite some time.
(PS - I love watching the babies come out, all tiny and brown - they look like little aliens!)

Here's a pic of a mantis I found walking on top of a bush at my MIL's house. The scale is kind of hard to see, as my hand is gloved, but, this one had to be 6 INCHES long!

prayingmantis23la.jpg

texasgirl said:
Wow, how cool is that!!
She will probably still lay her in captivity as long as she is in her normal like environment and she has food, but, I'm not sure. Do they need their mate around, I wonder?
Let us know what happens.

AS IN MOST THINGS THE FEMALE IS MUCH LARGER THAN THE MALE AND THEY DO AWAY WITH THE MALE AS SOON AS THEY HAVE MATED. HE WAS A SNACK TOO!:ohmy: SPIDERS ALSO DO AWAY WITH THE MUCH SMALLER MALE. WHAT IS IT WITH YOU GALS ANYWAY ? :huh: TRY AND FIND AT LEAST A 10 GALLON FISH TANK PUT PLANTS AND CRICKETS OR GRASS HOPPERS IN WITH HER AND I THINK SHE WILL BE FINE.
P.S. YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE A LID UNLESS THE TANK HAS ONE. THE FOOD MUST BE LIVE FOR HER TO EAT!:wacko:

Last edited:
(*smacking my head*) I didn't even think of a terrarium! Great idea, Maidrite!

Allen - great mantis! Aren't they fun to play with? I love how their heads tilt when they look at you.

I love praying mantis' - they're so mysterious looking!

We just had one sit on the rear view mirror of our van, and it stayed there through about a 10 mile trip! It was hilarious, and hubbie almost drove off the road a couple of times catching a look at her!

We had a small one on our front porch for a couple of days. The kids would go out & just sit there for the longest time looking at it. They are amazing creatures!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't want to get the fish tank out and all that stuff so I let her go. She was in the same spot all day today, good hunting area! They are the most remarkable insects. I love watching them hatch and drop. I was not sure if I could provide the right habitat and would hate to make a mistake and kill her. We bring in some of the monarch catepillars every summer and watch them turn into butterflies but they don't need much care and can sit on the kitchen table where they are always visible! If the mantis keeps coming back to the same spot I'll keep you posted. Mantis's don't live in Canada? Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom