I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diana-Kate

Assistant Cook
Hello, everyone! I thought I would introduce myself before I start posting.

I'm Diana-Kate, and I love cooking and discussing food. I think I found the right crowd here. I'm a vegetarian so I'll be hanging out in that forum. I'm also interested in food as medicine and learning about nutrition.

My other interests include yoga, drawing, writing, I love funny people, so if you say something funny, I'll laugh!

Diana-Kate

well diana if you love to laugh you've come to the right place !
check out the off topic and jokes forum !!!!
welcome to dc

Welcome to your new "HOME" Diana-Kate, I hope you will enjoy this as much as I do, I try to be funny once in a while so please forgive me. If you Like Fun, Recipes, Fun, People who care, did I mention Fun, you have Found Your New "HOME". I hide out as much as I can, and you will find me in OFF TOPICS, Should be called ODD TOPICS, or in Jokes and Games, I can make a PB&J and Boil water, WELCOME AND HAVE A "MAIDRITE DAY".:chef:

Hi Diana-Kate! I'm glad you have joined us. You will really enjoy it. I'm married to one of the kooks here, but his name escapes me at the moment! :LOL:

:) Barbara

I am new here too! Not too sure just how to ask questions online tho. I have been looking for help on the net as my husband had a heart attack and a triple bypass 8 weeks ago and we have had to change his diet radically.

He cannot have more than 10% fat in his diet, no red meat, only 2 eggs a week etc, etc. I have some recipes that are low fat and they use apple sauce instead of butter/oil which have worked out well. But I was hoping to use some of our old recipes that my husband Ron longs for by substituting ingredients. So I was wondering if anyone knew what quantities of apple sauce to use for butter/oil? Say the recipe says 125gr of butter, how much apple sauce should I use?

Also another question!!!! (Sorry) I have had to go off wheat (not gluten) and was wondering how to make gravy now? I always used gravox with vegetable juices, now I can't since that has wheat in it?

I know there are unusual questions but maybe someone out there knows the answers?

Hoping to hear from anyone. Thanks for listening.

Sharon

Welcome to DC Diana-Kate! :chef:
I'm also interested in food as medicine and learning about nutrition.
So am I, I have a huge passion in this area, so I'm sure we'll cross like-minded pathes here on the boards.

Welcome to DC
Sharon! :chef:
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's health, but so very glad that he has pulled through! And that you two are serious about changing his/your diet.

May I ask why have you gone off wheat? (Celiac's? Candida?) It should be all right if you use cornstarch or arrowroot to thicken your gravey. Start with a homemade stock (or one that was made in a pinch with a wheat-free stock cube) and add a little cornstarch to cold water, or cooled off stock and gradually whisk it into the pan/pot of stock. Give it a few minutes (I reduce the heat), and see if it's thick enough for your taste, if not add a tiny bit more cornstarch. You can use this method for both meat and veg stocks.

Here are some good starting points for wheat free recipes online:

http://www.wheat-free.org/

http://www.recipelink.com/wheatfree.html

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipeCategory?category.114

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/glutenfree/glutenfree.html

Here are two links that talk briefly about subbing apple sauce for oil:

http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/home/fatsub.html

http://www.treetop.com/aboutUs/faq.htm

You can also use bananas in some recipes, and figs/dates as well (great for cutting back on sugar!)

I know it can be very hard to adjust to a medically impossed diet, I eat around (or "for" depending on how you look at it) my health as well :)

Thank you so much Jessica

Hi there Jess,

You have been so helpful. I certainly will try doing gravy that way. Since I don't have any meat juices to use, I will try a stock cube or tamari or something and thicken it.

I decided to go back on my yeast free diet that I tried 16 yrs ago and was on for 2 yrs to see if I could stop the bloating, etc I have suffered for most of my life. Tried so many diets, Doc said it was just IBS and live with it. But after a few days without wheat, the symptoms have gone away. Had a touch of them back last night, but realised that I had put a dry soup mix in the dinner and thought, it must be the wheat. Since I have been having wheat free, yeast free bread, I assume it is not a gluten problem.

From what I am reading, food makes a bit difference to our quality of life.

My husband was very fortunate to get a warning sign and to live. I am thankful for that everyday.

I will look up those sites you sent me as I have time.

I really appreciate your help so much.

Cheers,

Sharon :chef:

Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad that you liked the links. I can totally get where you are coming from, one of the medical conditions I eat for is IBS, it (the IBS) has improved dramatically as a result of diet (and peppermint, and one prescription med - MP if you want more info in this direction). There is tons!!! You can do for IBS in terms of diet, and elemintating wheat is one thing that some people have luck with...have you been tested for Celiac's disease just to rule that possiblity out?

From what I am reading, food makes a bit difference to our quality of life.
Absolutely. I've gone years now with out things like alcohol (not even for cooking), coffee, carbonated drinks, etc and I feel sooooo much better because of it!

I wish you both so much luck and success as you introduce a new way of looking at food and eating into your life! Believe me it is well worth the effort.

p.s.
Have you experienced any problems with rice flour? I absolutely love it for homemade breads, biscuits and crackers :)

Diana-Kate, welcome to our family!
I can almost surely guarantee you'll clean your monitor weekly from spitting your beverage onto it from the silly jokes folks put on this board!
We're all so glad you are here!!!

Sharon, welcome to you too!
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your husband's condition, but it is a wonderful thing that you found our (and now your) home here. Everyone is so helpful (as you can see by Jess' example!) and those who have any input will most certainly be there when you need them. I suggest you copy/paste your original inquiry into it's own posting so more folks will see it.

9.gif
to DC, Diana-Kate
You'll love it here!!

How many meats eaters do you need to change a lightbulb?
None--they'd rather not see how their food is made.

Back
Top Bottom