AUSTRALIA - Mount Gambier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
Not likely many of you will make it to my little town (pop, 27,000), but just in case - here's my recommendation.

Charlies family diner (all you can eat lisenced restaurant)
There is a variety of soups for starters. There is a selection of seafood including freshly cooked muscles, yabbies and whole schnapper. There are some asian dishes (never been to that section, so couldn't tell you much), Italian pastas with self-serve sauce and a salad bar.

Also a carvery with roast vegetables, various other vegetables. One of my favourites - cauliflour in cheese sauce. There are also wood-fired pizzas (kids favourite) and casseroles and mornays.

Dessert section includes, pavlovas, cheesecakes, flavoured ice creams, butter-scotch, chocolate and caramel puddings, mousses, cakes and slices (the best vanilla slice I've tasted).

Tea and coffee included in the price. Parents can buy a decorative 'olde' style coco-cola glass for the kids (to take home) for bottomless soft drink.

Prices - $16.50 adult for dinner - $12.50 for lunch, about $8 - $10 for kids

Bookings essential for Friday and Saturday nights and public holidays. Has won many restaurant awards since opening in 1991. :pig:

Well, there's yet another reason to want to jet off to Oz! The place sounds wonderful! I can't believe they have pavlovas in their dessert offerings! What a treat!
(PS - what are "yabbies"? I'm assuming it's seafood?)

Thanks Aussie Girl, I will reccommend it to Jo at work for when she goes home to Mount Gambier for Christmas.

Jkath yabbies are like freshwater lobster very nice.

Thanks for explaining yabbies, mrsmac. Not my 'cup of tea', but hubby sure makes up for me when we go! :LOL:

I'm sure your friend Jo would know about Charlies. It is an institution in our town. Maybe you will make it down here one day mrsmac - and you too jkath, we'd love to see you. :)

aussie girl, Been there, must admit it is one of the countries prettiest towns,
The Blue lake is something to behold,
Only one word describes Mt Gambier...beautiful.
I actually managed to get right up to the rim of Mt Shank!
The the scene from there simply magnificent.
Sunken Garden.. A great bBIG yes to that.
Pinanninny Ponds Not forgetting about DIngly Dell etc just to name a few of my favourite spots in this gorgeous town.
Angel from Mt. Compass in S.A.

Hello Angel, thanks for your kind words on my fair town.

That is no mean feat to the top of Mt Schank. I did it once during a school excursion at 15 (when I was young and fit :LOL: ). Tough going!

I'm not sure which "sunken garden" you mean. We have 2 that could be described in that manner. The Cave Gardens in the centre of town, with masses of rose bushes. Or, the Umpherston Cave on the edge of town with dozens of hydrangea bushes, ivy and resident possums to feed. Considered getting married there, but the steps down were too steep for the elderly. Instead, we married on the lawns of the Blue Lake pumping station.

I haven't been to Mt Compass, but if it anything like the rest of the Adelaide hills area, it would be so picturesque. I just adore the old rugged eucalypts. We dont have many left here :( . I must take a weeks holiday one year, and tour the hills - just so much to see.

Darn, pics didn't work - new at this, and not very good either lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom