Why...why...why??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
Have you ever had a recipe you've used for years...and all of a sudden it just doesn't work anymore?

My pie crust recipe is doing this to me right now. It's been great for all the years I've made pies...(and I'm old...hehehe), but lately...they're great when they're warm...and hard when they're cold! I have never had to chill the shortening...but it's been so warm...and I'm storing the shortening in a warmer storage room than where it used to be....do you think this could be it? I haven't changed brands. I think I'll chill it and see if that helps...but wondered if you could give me your best guesses...and any of your experiences!

I have not made alot of pie crusts, but from what I know it sounds like you are on the right track. I bet your shortening is too warm. The one thing I can remember my mom telling me is that all your ingredients should be as cold as possible. Good Luck!! :)

(moved to the Desserts, Sweets and Baking > Pies forum)

Yep - you've already figured out your problem. Whenever a tried and true recipe suddenly goes wonkey on you - you look for what has changed. In your case - the temperature of your shortening. Another contributing factor could be the temp of your flour - if you're storing it in a warmer place, too. It's got to do with the flour absorbing the fat rather than just coating it. I know this is addressed in detail in either CookWise or On Food and Cooking. I'll look it up for you tomorrow if you wish.

Last edited:
You might be working the dough too much too. It is much easier to do that if your shortening is softer. Just work the dough a bit less and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom