Hello... I'm new here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trippingovermyjoy

Assistant Cook
I was sent here by my good friend Ardge. I'm a soon to be culinary arts student; I start in the spring. I have always been a huge fan of cooking, though. It is definately my passion in life.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone!

-Alex

Hello Alex and welcome, you are blessed with such an excellent chum like RJ, and I believe that it goes both ways... we are glad to have you here and hope you have loads of fun with us!! RJ how did the interview go?

Welcome Both to you Alex and to you RJ may your NEW HOME here serve you as well as it has me........ Grab a Cup of joe and Sit right here on The front porch we us and enjoy the view and chewing the fat with us all. Welcome Home.....................!!!! James

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 216
urmaniac13 said:
RJ how did the interview go?

It did not go well....

I was told to be at the restaurant between noon and 5 on Saturday. I arrived at 4:15, dressed in my chocolate and creme spotted chef whites and checks. (I just got off of work at 3:30 and drove like a madman into the city to make it in time.) I met the person I was to meet and he seemed friendly enough. (He was the GM I think.) He then told me I could meet with the Chef. Anxiously, I waited in the bar for the opportunity. About two minutes later, the GM came into the bar and told me that he arranged 10 minutes with Chef for me. He pointed me in the direction Chef was sitting in. As I walked through the dining room, I saw Chef seated at a table for two, order forms strewn about and a few barely filled wine glasses sitting before him. (It seems I got Chef during inventory and a wine tasting.)

As I approched, Chef said loudly, "I can't believe it!! You got me on a Saturday!!!"

"That's unheard of?," I asked.

"Yeah, especially walk-ins." Chef replied. "Have a seat."

I began to tell him I was not a "walk-in" and that my interview/meeting was scheduled, but he was not hearing any of it. "Michael!! Give me more of the Merlot!!.... AND FILL IT UP THIS TIME!!!!" Frazzled, I introduced myself as Michael filled Chef's wine glass. I told him of my admiration for the restaurant and asked to be considered for any of the three openings I heard about. He then told me he had no openings available. "Who told you there were 3 openings?" asked Chef. After I told him, he smiled and asked me what I could bring to his kitchen. I showed him my resume and portfolio, and as he breezed through both, I told him that just because I was currently employed as a pastry chef, I could bring much more to his kitchen than that. He nodded but informed me that if I was hired, I'd be nowhere near the pastry depratement because, "My girl there does and terrific job and I do not want to shake up anything there." He said he "might" have a dreadful prep position or "maybe" could have some sort of pantry job, but there is nothing at the moment. I looked at him kinda dumbfounded. He then told me wasn't about to hire any new cooks. A few guys were starting Monday (today actually) and that he had no place for me anyway.

He then asked what kind of money I made at my current job. After I told him, he chuckled a bit, then told me to keep my current job. I was confused. What did that mean? I was interviewing at one of the most exclusive restaurants downtown. I guess Chef knew my questions without me asking them. He then told me this.... "My cooks start at $8 an hour and the top of the pay scale is $9.50 an hour. Keep your current job." I smirked, offered my hand in gratitude, shook Chef's hand firmly and thanked him for his time.

I got to the parking garage at 4:07 pm. I returned at 4:32 to get my car. My entire time spent parked was 25 minutes. It cost me $14.

Alex, I am sorry to hijack your thread. She what I told you hun? People here DO care!

On to our regulary scheduled programming.

Everyone, please say hi to my friend Alex. She is a dream and a great Chef in training. :chef:

RJ

Ardge! Haven't seen you in a while - I'm glad you're back here!!! I think of you every time I make little parfait cups for dessert.

Tripping (oh wait, that doesn't sound right)...how about "TOMJ"....Well, anyway, I'm pleased you have decided to join our wonderful family! This is truly a place of friendship and wonderful recipes. You'll fit right in!
Now, on to the good stuff: what's your favorite meal?

jkath said:
Ardge! Haven't seen you in a while - I'm glad you're back here!!! I think of you every time I make little parfait cups for dessert.

Tripping (oh wait, that doesn't sound right)...how about "TOMJ"....Well, anyway, I'm pleased you have decided to join our wonderful family! This is truly a place of friendship and wonderful recipes. You'll fit right in!
Now, on to the good stuff: what's your favorite meal?

You can call me Alex, it's easier. And my favorite meal... oh man, it's so hard to choose! I think my Grandma's chicken and dumplings is probably it.
*drool*

Hiya tripping. Bienvenue and all that. I think you will have fun here. We love Ardge and wish he was here more often, but we want him to get that great job too.

Welcome to this wonderful site!!! If RJ gives a thumbs up it's all we need! Please keep us included when you feel like talking about what you are going through. We all would love to hear it and we can all cheer you on!! We can go to school through you! :mrgreen:

...Ardge - sounds like a place you wouldn't want to work - things work in mysterious ways - I personally would NOT want a drunk chef on my watch...nor a jerk! :mad:

Maybe try to keep your ears open and wait for him to get fired. :(

welcome Alex,
glad to have you join us and I know you will have much to share and tell us about...I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do..Nice people who go out of their way to help and care for you.
kadesma

I met Alex on a certain musician's message board that we both no longer hang out on. We both left on different occasions for the same reason. Negativity. It just wasn't fun to be there anymore. I told Alex about the love and friendship we all have here. I asked her to be a part of it and she did just that. I am pleased you have accepted her they way you all have. Thank you for making me (and I am sure her) smile.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom