Blackened Veal Chops in a Chipotle Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
This recipe isn't cheap. It calls for six 1" thick veal chops. Veal cutlets or scalloppini will not work, as they will be horribly overcooked by the time the blackened seasoning has fully caramelized in the pan. You might want to try this with thick-cut pork chops, or Eye-of-Round steaks.

Blackened Veal Chops in a Chipotle Cream
Makes: 6 servings

For the Chipotle Cream:
10 T unsalted butter, in all
2 c chopped onions
2 ½ t ground dried Chipotle chile peppers
3 ¼ t blackened seasoning, in all
1 c chicken
-or- beef stock
4 oz wild mushrooms, cut in thin slices
2 c heavy cream
¼ t salt
½ t light brown sugar
For the Veal Chops:
2 T vegetable oil
6 veal chops, each about 1” thick (about 10 oz each)
2 T blackened seasoning

To prepare the Chipotle Cream: Place 8 T of the butter in a 10” nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter begins to sizzle, add the onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions have turned a light brown, about 15 minutes. Add the Chipotle and 1 T of the blackened seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until the seasonings have darkened slightly, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the chicken or beef stock, scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen any brown crust on the skillet bottom. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, then purée the mixture in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
Add 1 T of the butter to the skillet and place over high heat. When the butter sizzles, add the mushrooms and ¼ t blackened seasoning and sauté until the mushrooms begin to darken, about 3 minutes. Return the purée to the skillet, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Add the cream, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in the remaining butter. Set the sauce aside and prepare the chops. Yields about 4 c of sauce.
To Prepare the Veal Chops: Season each veal chop evenly with ½ t of blackened seasoning per side, patting it in gently with your hands. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet until the oil is smoking hot, about 5 – 7 minutes. Put 2 or 3 of the chops in the hot skillet. (When Blackening, it is important not to crowd the pan. Always leave plenty of space between the chops.) Cook, turning once, until the chops are brown on the outside but still very rare in the center, about 1 – 2 minutes. Place the chops in a 500ºF oven for 3 – 4 minutes to finish. Repeat the process for the remaining chops.
Serve 1 chop per person, topped with ½ c of the sauce.

Here's the mix I use. It's Paul Prudhomme's, from Louisiana Kitchen.

Blackened Seasoning Mix

2 T paprika
5 t salt
2 t onion powder
2 t garlic powder
2 t cayenne
1 ½ t white pepper
½ t black pepper
1 t thyme
1 t oregano

Thanks AllenMI!! I see everyone talking about blackened this and that and don't know what your talking about. I'll have to try it out.

blackening is a tricky thing to do well. when i first read this recipe, i thought "why ruin something like an expensive veal chop?".

but then, if blackened properly (so it's not just burnt and bitter), it would probably be delicious.

the chipotle cream sounds great allen.

the sauce

do you think this would work with chicken, i want to make
something new tonight and i have chicken breast on hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom