What should I make with my leftover potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Yesterday I got a little over-zealous with my potatoes and mashed enough for a small country. After dinner I realized I had waaaaaaaay too much here.
So, what should I do for tonight's dinner to incorporate these spuds?
(PS - I'd prefer not to go the route of frying, if possible)

Thanks in advance:)

make a casserole with it.

1 pound ground meat + seasonings or fillers you like
1 or 2 cans cream soup (I use mushroom)

top with mashed potatoes (make sure they're really moist, add more milk if needed. Then bake until bubbly on abuot 375.

Toss the potatoes into your FP with an egg or two and some grated cheese and process to combine. Put into a buttered casserole and sprinkle some cheese on top. Bake until heated through and lightly browned.

Saute/caramelize some onions or leeks, cook some kale and turkey sausage (kale takes awhile so look up to see how long it takes), add some low sodium chicken broth and heat. Add potatoes and thin as much as necessary for kale, sausage, potato soup.

My son loves to split low fat kielbasa in half lengthwise, each piece about 6" long, stuff with a good heaping of mashed potatoes, top with shredded cheese, bake 350 for about 30 minutes or until cheese melts and potatoes are warm and sausage is warm - his comfort food!! Oh, and garnish with an avocado slice :mrgreen: (j/k) :-p

Leftover mashed potatoes.....knish!!! Just use your regular pastry dough, roll out and cut into circles (about 6" across) place about 3-4 heaping tablespoons of the cold mashed spud on one side. brush the outer half with egg yolk, seal and do the egg wash bit, sprinkle with dried dill weed and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350. You can freeze these afterwards and just nuke to heat. One plus is that they do not need to be refrigerated as soon if using for a packed luch or what have you. My family loves these!!!

Kitchenelf, we used to do the same thing with hot dogs in the early years of marriage. I was still in school and we had practically NO food budget. That was quite nourishing for the cost. Later I made some for my kids and they loved it - now my grandaughter makes it for her little son and he enjoys it also.

add grated onions and cheese and make spud pancakes
make potato bread
make a white potato pie (eggs butter nutmeg cream) there are several recipes out there on the web.
spud dumplings or topping as stated above
stuffed peppers with potato and meat top with salsa and bake

Ken said:
Alix's brother would know what to do with extra potatoes. Ask her!

His potato cannon only works with RAW potatoes. I personally would make potato pancakes. The recipe I posted was for raw potatoes, but it works just as well with mashed taters. Look here.

Fry onions, grate some cheese, mix with potatoes and put in a greased casserole dish, top with a little more cheese and heat at 350. you can also top with tatter tots then bake.

I made.....nothing!
Yesterday morning I looked at a house and loved it, so last night my realtor took us back to the house (this time with husband and kids, even MIL) and they all loved it too! By the time we'd finished looking, it was so late we went out for italian.
I'll be doing the potato makeover tonight.

PS - please keep your fingers crossed - I really need a bid on my house asap! If I get one, I can bid on the one I want.

This recipe looks interesting...
Jerry Springer's Mashed Potato Meatloaf

Ingredients
1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground round
1 pound ground veal
1 finely diced onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesean cheese
1 teaspoon paprika

Instructions
In a large pot, cook, drain and rinse potatoes. Mix with butter, salt, milk and eggs. Mix meats, onion, garlic and pepper in bowl. Combine with 3/4 of mashed potatoes and pack into a 9 x 5 x 2-1/2-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Spoon the remaining mashed potatoeson top with Parmesan cheese and paprika and bake for five more minutes.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Jacques Pepin does this thing where he grates a rather strong, hard cheese (swiss, parmesan, etc) into the mashed potatoes, an egg or two, and bakes it like a souffle. It is wonderful. I actually put in a dab of baking powder to get it a little fluffier. Yummyumm.

Back
Top Bottom