Need Help Down Sizing Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MochaBean04

Senior Cook
A&W Coney Island Sauce Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 5 pounds hamburger
  • 2 small onions, finely chopped
  • 64 ounces Hunt's tomato paste
  • 64 ounces canned tomato puree
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed
  • 3 tablespoons salt PLUS
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions:

Brown hamburger and onions in very large skillet; drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 1/2 hours. Stir frequently, as it will tend to stick. This freezes well. Author's note: To get that authentic taste, use only Kogel franks and rehydrate dry minced onions in boiling water.

downsize to what size.
I make a huge pot and then i use freezer containers and freeze portions. It is a big time saver when you decide to have hot dog and wish you had some sauce. then you you can just get a container pop it in the microwave and have it.

Is this the same sauce that is used for what they call (and consumed in mass amounts) "Texas Wieners" in the eastern Pennsylvania? I lived in Scranton (north eastern part of PA) for several months years ago, and I remember they were very, very popular there... I am usually not big on chili dogs but I did like this version... whoa, it just dug up some long forgotten memories!!:)

MochaBean04 said:
A&W Coney Island Sauce Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 5 pounds hamburger 1 pound
  • 2 small onions, finely chopped 1/2 small
  • 64 ounces Hunt's tomato paste 12 ounces
  • 64 ounces canned tomato puree 12 ounces
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar 5 Tb
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar 5 Tb
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder 1 1/4 tsp
  • 1 tablespoon pepper 1/2 tsp
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed 1/2 tsp
  • 3 tablespoons salt PLUS 2 tsp
  • 1 teaspoon salt -0-

Try this...

Sorry lol i wanted to say for a family size portion like 3-4 maybe. i just didnt want to use alot of meat up just for one recipe. thats all i was wondering. I found this recipe on a copy cat website. Its from Coney Island NY and its the recipe they put on their sasuages and hot dogs i think. Very good! I was surprised i found it on here. I wanna make it to see if its the same . . .lol

Thank you Andy. i didnt notice that you put the new sizes next to the old ones lol thats sounds much better then 5 lbs. ill have to make it sometime while the weather is still nice here. Its not snowing early for once! yay lol thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom