I want to try homemade French Fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VIDEODROME

Cook
I want to try homemade French Fries or Chips

I think I've gotten much better at making good hamburgers so I thought it would be cool to try this next.

Instead of the deep fryer method though I've been thinking of trying to just cut store bought potatos into nice thick fries and pan cooking them in some olive oil and probably add a little spray butter on them while they're cooking.

I'll sprinkle some spice on them while cooking to. I tend to like cooking potatos with Cayenne but I might consider other spices/herbs.

Last edited:
They'll taste great but they probably won't come out like 'real' FF.

Use russet 'baking' potatos. The ideal size for a deep-fried FF is 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. When deep frying, they are best when cooked in two stages. First at a lower temp to cook the interior through. Second at a higher temp to crisp the outside.

Maybe this info will help you refine your pan-frying method.

I'd season the fries immediately after frying, not during.

What you are describing is basically sauteed potatoes, which will (as Andy said) probably taste nice, but will disappoint you if you are craving something that resembles a real "french fry."

In lieu of deep frying, you can "oven fry" french fries on a cookie sheet.

Don't use olive oil (low smoke point -- use peanut or other oil with higher smoke point) and really think about whether you want "spray butter" on fries.

My husband and I used to make FF regularly - they probably weren't as good and crisp as a restaurant FF, but they were pretty good (we'd have a dinner of fried egg and chips, as we called it) We were young and poor and those were fun times. We'd cut the (scrubbed- all purpose) potatoes into FF wedges (just about 1/2" thick), leaving the skin on, re-rinse and pat dry. (Also, somtimes we'd peel the scrubbed potatoes, saving the skins (thin skins, not like the thick ones in restaurants) . After frying the FF, we'd do the skins until really crisp.))
While scrubbing and preparing potatoes, we'd have vegetable oil heating up (filling up about 1/2 of a 5 qt pot) our electric stove plate on high. We knew the oil was ready when a little piece of potato dropped in would sizzle. You have to watch the oil - reduce the heat if it starts to smoke. We'd cook the chips in small batches -if you put too many in at a time they stick together. The key seems to be to pay attention and don't be impatient. Watch the fries - the'll start turning brown and looking crisp, then they can be removed them from the pot onto a plate covered with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel, adding salt. The plate would then go into a warm oven. Now that we have a gas stove, we can regulate the heat a little better. Our kids used to love this. Actually, the FF never used to make it all the way to the dinner table - they'd get eaten as we went along. These days I do oven fries - but despite all my efforts, they never come out as crisp as I want them to be.-Sandyj

Andy M. said:
They'll taste great but they probably won't come out like 'real' FF.

That's actually okay with me. My kitchen is what it is and I know I can't really create the same fry a restraunt can. I just thought it would be neat to try serving potatos as "chips". I guess Chips might be a better word for what I'm going for than fries because whatever I make won't be that crisp.

As for the spray butter I sometimes cook regular sliced potatos in a similiar way. I add Cayenne pepper while they're still cooking in the pan and I figured the little bit of butter would help the pepper stick and also add some flavor. So far I've liked the result. It gives me nice potatos that have some good spice on them.

VIDEODROME said:
...I know I can't really create the same fry a restraunt can...

My point was that you can create FFs like the restaurants. Many home cooks do. You probably have all the equipment you need except for a deep frying thermometer.

i tried making home made french fries once and didnt care for them too much.

I buy store bought oreida steak fries, and cover them with olive oil, sea salt, and cracked black pepper and cook them as listed on package.

the olive oil coating really helps alot

My husband makes great french fries everytime he fries fish. He has a propane set-up in his garage (barn...it's bigger than the house). I scrub the potatoes and slice them in thin strips, leaving the skins on. When he's done with the fish, he puts in the fries to clean up the grease. They are so good!

I often toss potatoes in olive oil and seasonings, and roast them till crispy in a 375 degree oven.

Then there's the good ole pan-fried potatoes. Slice the potatoes thin, slice some onion into them, season with S&P, and fry in a little vegetable oil over medium heat till brown on one side, then turn with spatula, put lid on and cook till potatoes are tender. This is really better if you add a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom