Lavender Recipes, Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I was at Cost Plus World Market - the only place around here that I can find both Canadian Coffee Crisp candy and Aussie Marmite...(not that I eat the latter). Anyway, on the clearance area, I found a jar of Lavender for only $1.50. So, of course I had to buy it.

I've not cooked with it much, and when I did, it was years ago. I did, however make a mean lavender liquor, but that's another posting.

It's easy to google a recipe search, but I'm hoping instead that some of you have recipes you've tried. (I'm thinking Lavender scones with clotted cream may be nice.)

Yummmm, one of my favourite flowers! I like to use them in creme brulees. When you are heating the cream add the flowers (say about 1-2 tbsp), once the milk/cream is heated strain it through a sieve to remove the flowers. This leaves you with a delicate flavour of lavendar in your finished product. I've been meaning to do this with panna cotta but haven't had the lavendar handy when making it yet. I bet it would taste much the same.

I know a friend of mine has a recipe for lemonaid. It's pretty good!!
I'll try to get a hold of her and get it for you.

Try stuffing a bunch in the cavity of a chicken and roasting it. Really unique flavour and smells yummy too.

What a wonderful selection Daisy, thank-you so much for sharing your wealth of lavendar recipes! The sweets and muffins really jump out at me. I'll have to get a hold of some lavendar (chances are it might not be till next spring, that's the only time I've seen it in the tiny organic shop here) and try them :)

I was thinking of using your lavender in a potpourri along with some of your favorite herbs, maybe rosemary? Some dried flowers would add some nice color to it as well.

oh and add some of the lavender leaves to a little sash and stick it in your dresser drawer for a nice fragrance.

jkath said:
I was at Cost Plus World Market - the only place around here that I can find both Canadian Coffee Crisp candy and Aussie Marmite...(not that I eat the latter).

I know it's OT, but I had no idea that Coffee Crisp chocolate bars were a Canadian thing, lol, you learn something new everyday! I can't find them here either, which is too bad, I think my coffee luving DH would be nuts for them :mrgreen:

I've got about a dozen different Lavender recipes. I went on a "binge" last Febuary, looking for lavender recipes, as I had planned to grow some. However, none ever sprouted. I may try again next year.

I haven't tried any of these.

Lavender Tea Bread
Yields: 12 servings

¾ c milk
3 T finely chopped fresh lavender
6 T butter, softened
1 c white sugar
2 eggs
2 c all-purpose flour
1 ½ t baking powder
¼ t salt

Preheat the oven to 325ºF (165ºC). Grease and flour a 9 x 5” loaf pan.
Combine the milk and lavender in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat to a simmer, then remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk and lavender until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Lavender Mist
Yields: 20 punch cups

1 c water
3 cans frozen grape juice concentrate
¼ t whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
½ c lime juice
2 qt ginger ale

Boil spices with water for 1 minute. Cool, strain, and add grape juice concentrate and lime juice. When ready to serve, pour over ice and add ginger ale.

Pink Lavender Lemonade
Yields: 6 – 8 servings

5 c Distilled water, in all
1 ½ c Sugar
6 large Strawberries; hulled
-or- ¼ c Pink hibiscus flowers; dried pesticide free
¼ c Lavender leaves; chopped
-or- 1 T dried Lavender flowers
2 ½ c Distilled water
2 ¼ c Lemon juice
½ c Sugar; optional
Fresh lavender flowers for garnish

In medium saucepan, combine 2 ½ c of the water, sugar, and hibiscus flowers (or hulled strawberries). Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes to extract pink from flowers. Remove from heat. Stir in lavender leaves. Cover and cool. Strain cooled herb liquid into large pitcher or jar (if using strawberries, gently press juice from berries.) Add remaining water and lemon juice. Stir well. Add ½ c more sugar, if desired. Just before serving, add ice cubes. Pour into chilled glasses. Garnish with lavender flowers.

Grilled Honey Lavender Salmon
Yield: 4 Servings

2 ½ T fresh lavender leaves and/or flowers; chopped
3 T best olive oil
3 oz honey
3 oz dry white wine
2 t peppercorns; crushed
2# salmon fillets; skinned; cut into 4 pieces

Infuse lavender in oil at least 32 hours ahead, keeping it at cool room temperature.
At least 8 hours ahead: combine all ingredients and let fish marinate at least 8 hours.
Grill on a well-oiled grate, skin side down, for 3 minutes. Flip and grill 3
more minutes or until done.

Lavender Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake
Yield: 12 Servings

For the Crust:
1 ½ c shortbread cookies; broken into small pieces
6 T unsalted butter; melted
¼ c granulated sugar
1 c fresh or frozen raspberries
For the White Chocolate Ganache:
6 oz white chocolate; chopped into small pieces
4 T fresh lavender flowers
-or- 4 t dried lavender flowers
½ c heavy cream
For the filling:
Three 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 ½ c granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 T butter; melted
1 t vanilla extract

FOR THE CRUST: Combine the cookies, butter and sugar in a food processor or blender and pulse to make fine crumbs. Press the crumbs into a parchment-lined, 9” springform pan. Spread the raspberries over the crust and refrigerate the crust until ready to use.
FOR THE GANACHE: Place the chopped white chocolate in a medium bowl. Place the lavender on a square of cheesecloth. Bring the corners of the cheesecloth together and tie them securely with string to form a sachet. Place the sachet and cream in a heavy-bottomed 1 qt saucepan and bring the cream to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for 2 minutes. Remove and discard the sachet and pour the hot cream over the white chocolate. Whisk the mixture until smooth, then set aside to thicken and cool to room temperature.
FOR THE FILLING: In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix in the Ganache until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325ºF and bake for 30 minutes longer, or until the edges of the filling are firm and the center is still soft but not loose to the touch. Turn off the oven
and open the door slightly. Cover the cake with a clean kitchen towel and allow it to cool for 1 hour in the oven. Remove the cheesecake and allow it to cool completely in a draft-free spot. Chill the cheesecake in the refrigerator for 6 – 8 hours or overnight.

Lavender and Mint Roasted Pork Tenderloin
Yields: 6 servings

For the Pork:
3 pork tenderloins; 12 oz
¼ c fresh lavender; finely chopped
¼ c fresh mint; finely chopped
unsalted butter, to taste
For the Chutney:
1 c dried cherries
2 fresh persimmons; thinly sliced
6 dried figs; thinly sliced
½ red bell pepper; julienned
½ green bell pepper; diced
juice of ½ lemon
1 t fresh gingerroot; peeled and grated
2 T garlic; finely chopped
¼ c white wine vinegar
½ c Gewürztraminer wine
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Caramelized Apples:
2 T unsalted butter
3 granny smith apples; cored and sliced
¼ c brown sugar; packed
2 T cider vinegar
For the Pumpkin Mixture:
1# fresh pumpkin; seeded
1# white turnips; peeled and quartered
2 T butter; melted
½ c Asiago cheese; grated
¼ c heavy cream
1 T garlic; finely chopped
1 t ground nutmeg

To make the pork: trim any excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloins and discard. In a large, shallow bowl, combine the lavender and mint. Roll the tenderloins
in the herbs to thoroughly coat the meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
To make the chutney: In a medium-sized, heavy saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for
60 – 90 minutes, or until the chutney has stewed and the fruits and vegetables are tender. Let cool to room temperature and set aside.
To make the caramelized apples: In a hot skillet, brown the butter. Add the apple slices and toss. Add the sugar and continue to toss until the sugar begins to caramelize. Gently stir in the vinegar and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid reduces to a light syrup. Keep warm.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. To make the pumpkin mixture, place the pumpkin in a baking pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until tender. meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan, cook the turnips in water to cover for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash the turnips. Set aside.
Scrape the meat of the cooked pumpkin into a large bowl and stir in the butter. Mix in the reserved mashed turnips. Add the cheese, cream, garlic, and nutmeg and mash the mixture to a smooth consistency. Keep warm.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large, heavy ovenproof skillet; melt enough of the sweet butter to cover the bottom. When the butter is hot, brown the chilled pork tenderloins on both sides. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pork is cooked to medium. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
Slice the pork on a bias and arrange on each serving plate with the chutney, caramelized apples, and pumpkin mixture. Serve immediately.

Spicy Lavender Marinade for Chicken
Makes: ~ ½ c; enough for 4 chicken breasts

¼ c fresh sage
1/8 c fresh lavender leaves
1/8 c fresh marjoram leaves
4 t lime juice
8 t olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 t Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
1 t salt

Combine the ingredients in a food processor or blender and chop thoroughly. Marinate chicken pieces in the mixture for at least half an hour before grilling; baste the chicken several times while cooking.

Lavender Honey Ice Cream
Yield: 10 – 12 servings

1 1/3 c milk
2 2/3 c whipping cream
2 T + 2 t lavender flowers, stemmed, in all
8 egg yolks
1 ½ c lavender honey

Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan over medium heat until just about to boil. Turn off heat and stir in 2 T of the lavender flowers. Let steep 20 minutes. Whisk egg yolks with honey until smooth in small bowl. Whisk about ¼ c of the milk into egg mixture. Pour egg mixture back into milk and whisk well. Return saucepan to stove; heat over low heat, whisking constantly, just until custard thickens, do not allow to boil. Pour mixture through fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Let cool completely. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. To serve, sprinkle remaining lavender flowers over ice cream.

After reading Allen's post with the recipe for Lavender Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake, I may have to try to get some lavendar ASAP! Simply too wonderful sounding to pass up!:LOL:

Heck, I've been wanting to try that since I got the recipe in Febuary, but sadly, no Lavender sprouted. What's worse, we didn't grow any at work this year, so I wasn't able to get some from the boss.

Honestly, the main thing I was planning on doing with Lavender, was to make a sachet/bouquet and hang it off my rear-view mirror. Most of the recipes I was finding when I looked for them were aroma-therapy recipe, scented baths, etc.

AllenMI said:
Heck, I've been wanting to try that since I got the recipe in Febuary, but sadly, no Lavender sprouted. What's worse, we didn't grow any at work this year, so I wasn't able to get some from the boss.

Honestly, the main thing I was planning on doing with Lavender, was to make a sachet/bouquet and hang it off my rear-view mirror. Most of the recipes I was finding when I looked for them were aroma-therapy recipe, scented baths, etc.

Thats what I would do with lavender too, make a sachet. I've tried growing it too but it never sprouts. It must need very warm and controled climate. I did mine indoors in a south facing window, but my house is not warm enough in the winter I guess.

Back
Top Bottom