Flank Steak Pinwheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
This one came up on my recipe radar screen, as I'm always looking for something new for flank steak/London Broil. Thinking out loud, I might incorporate some pine nuts and/or roasted red peppers with the spinach and cheese filling.

Flank Steak Pinwheels

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness 1 clove garlic, peeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

In a large resealable bag, combine the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper. Squeeze the bag to blend well.

Pierce the flank steak with a knife, making small slits about 1 inch apart. Place the steak into the bag, and seal. Refrigerate overnight to marinate.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Crush the remaining clove of garlic on a cutting board with a large chef's knife. Sprinkle the salt over the garlic, and scrape with the blunt side of the knife to make a paste.

Remove the steak from the bag, and discard marinade. Spread the garlic paste over the top side of the steak. Place layers of chopped onion, bread crumbs, spinach, and cheese over the garlic. Roll the steak up lengthwise, and secure with kitchen twine or toothpicks. Place the roll in a shallow glass baking dish.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the internal temperature of the roll is at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees F) in the center. Let stand for 5 minutes to set, then slice into 1 inch slices to serve.

We really enjoy stuffed flank steak and I'll add this recipe to the files.

TIP: Make sure that when you roll up the flank steak, the muscle fibers are running lengthwise along the roll. That way, when you slice the roast, you'll be cutting across the grain. This will ensure a tender result.

Thanks, Andy. Appreciate the tip. May I suggest serving with garlic smashed potatoes and brussel(s) sprouts? Like the idea of making a garlic paste and spreading on the meat. Usually for a roast, I cut little slits and insert garlic cloves. Since this is a flat cut of meat, the paste is something I will keep in mind for flank steak.

Last edited:
I would try this in a pressure cooker instead of baking... it will keep the meat wonderfully moist and tender...cook with some red wine, green peppercorn and bayleaf, it will also make a nice sauce to drizzle over...with this size it should be ready in about 40-45minutes...

urmaniac13 said:
I would try this in a pressure cooker instead of baking... it will keep the meat wonderfully moist and tender...cook with some red wine, green peppercorn and bayleaf, it will also make a nice sauce to drizzle over...with this size it should be ready in about 40-45minutes...

Can you post the recipe for us in the beef section or pressure cooker section? TIA. If the recipe appeals to you, might want to try it as is, to see if you will like it. An afterthought - I don't own a pressure cooker, but if you want to prepare it differently (cooking method), might consider how toothpicks or twine will react in a pressure cooker.

Last edited:
Yes I have a similar recipe... I am fixing to go to the gym now, I will post it later or tomorrow for sure!!
3.gif

mish said:
Can you post the recipe for us in the beef section or pressure cooker section? TIA. If the recipe appeals to you, might want to try it as is, to see if you will like it. An afterthought - I don't own a pressure cooker, but if you want to prepare it differently (cooking method), might consider how toothpicks or twine will react in a pressure cooker.

Okay sorry mish it took longer than I thought, I wasn't on the net at all during the weekend... I posted the recipe here

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15566

It also has the instruction on cooking in the conventional oven. Also with pressure cooker, tooth picks and twines are not affected at all, you can safely use them!!:)

mish said:
Thanks, pds. Sounds good to me too, as is.

The votes are in.

I made this last night. We didn't have any red wine so I used white instead. I also added extra garlic.

I loved it.:)
David liked it.:neutral:
Paul didn't care for it. :sick:
I think that he might have liked it better had I used
fresh spinach instead of frozen. I did add some pinenuts as you sujested. I'm having the left overs for lunch. Yummy!

pdswife said:
The votes are in.

I made this last night. We didn't have any red wine so I used white instead. I also added extra garlic.

I loved it.:)
David liked it.:neutral:
Paul didn't care for it. :sick:
I think that he might have liked it better had I used
fresh spinach instead of frozen. I did add some pinenuts as you sujested. I'm having the left overs for lunch. Yummy!

Thank you, pds for replying re how you and yours enjoyed the dish. I'm always open to input/ideas on how to make a dish even better and appreciate the input on how you changed it, or what you might do differently the next time. Pinwheels appeal to me, because the presentation looks nice and the flavors get to meld together from all the goodies you put inside and outside. Thinking about serving this with some buttered parsley noodles and a veggie. Again, thank you. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom