What to serve with this asian pasta dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papa Joe

Assistant Cook
Hi I'm new to the forum. I need an opinion.

I'm cooking an entree for 8 tomorrow (casual, just for friends) -- Sesame Chicken w/ Asparagus Pasta. Basically its a bunch of Linguine with chicken/cucumber/scallions/asparagus tossed in. The sauce is made up of sesame/chili oil, peanut butter, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, garlic, etc.

My question is, what do I serve with it? Bread? Salad? Seems like all the food groups are already represented in the one dish (meat/starch/veggie), and I don't want to be redundant. Thank you in advance

Joe

Bienvenue, Papa. Plenty of opinions here.

Here's mine - use some mandarin oranges or lychees (if you can find them) as a side dish, perhaps in a salad.

17.gif

I hope you enjoy it here!!
I have not tried this, but, it sounds good.

cooking spray
24 wonton wrappers
1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 purple onion finely diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F
Coat mini-muffin pans with cooking spray and line the molds with wonton sheets.
Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Combine remaining ingredients plus salt and pepper to taste.
Fill each wonton with salsa and serve.

Last edited:
How about some frozen egg rolls, Papa? There are some very good ones available. Just pop them in the oven and serve with a couple of dipping sauces.

All great suggestions guys :)

I may go with a simple salad and some frozen egg rolls. I'll let you all know how the entree turns out. If it's any good I'll post the recipe .

Thanks again

PS - Allow me to flex my ignorance a little more (I'm out of my element when it comes to asian food). What sort of wine would go well with this? I know it's chicken but are there any reds that would fit?

Joe

Last edited:
A spicy red like zinfandel is good. Also a slightly sweet white like a Johannesburg Riesling would do as well.

Papa Joe said:
All great suggestions guys :)

I may go with a simple salad and some frozen egg rolls. I'll let you all know how the entree turns out. If it's any good I'll post the recipe .

Thanks again

PS - Allow me to flex my ignorance a little more (I'm out of my element when it comes to asian food). What sort of wine would go well with this? I know it's chicken but are there any reds that would fit?

Joe

Because of the Asian flavors I would really, really not use a red only because there would be more of a chance that it would be hit or miss. If you really want to do red than I would recommend a Pinot Noir because it's lighter in body. A Zin may work, but a lot of Zins these days (especially coming out of Cali) are leaning more towards the bigger, full bodied type. A white would be better, and you usually can't go wrong with a Riesling like Andy suggested, but try and find a more dry Rielsing. Another good option which goes well with Asian Flavors would be a Pinot Grigio/Gris, Fume Blanc, or Sauvignon Blanc.

Back
Top Bottom