Good Red Wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marishka_20

Senior Cook
I love wine, especially red. I am a big Merlot fan. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good red wine? I need the price to be under $100.00 though. Thank You.:)

There are a ton of good merlots that cost less than $100.00. You can get very good ones for $10.00! It's difficult to recommend a particular bottle as I have no idea what you like in a wine. But merlot is probably the most popular red as it's easier to drink than a cab.

I'd recommend taking a walk through the merlot section and buying a selection. Talk the the wine merchant. He can listen to your preferences and recommend choices in all price ranges.

I have two suggestions - they are both from Viansa Winery in Sonoma Valley and would have to be ordered online - this is a great winery that sells to the public from their marketplace at their winery and through their wine club or just by purchasing online.

Lorenzo Merlot - this was exceptionally wonderful at $45.00 - $50.00 depending on the year. I can't say enough good things about it.

Siempre Avanti - this was also wonderful and only $32.00

If you join one of their wine clubs it is cheaper. Their wine clubs are GREAT!

While not Merlot some of their other reds that are exceptional are:

Samuele - $55.00
Ossidinia - $125.00 unless you are a member then it's around $90.00 and worth every penny!

Augusto - $42.00

Farneta Primativo - $35.00

All these prices would be lower if you join their club. You can get two bottles of red per month. I have yet to have a bad wine from this vineyard.

My favorite Merlot is Turning Leaf.It's usually under $10 a bottle and I love it!!!Even my wine enthusiaist friends and family rate this right up there!!!I hope you enjoy it as much as I do if you try it!!!!:)

Our favs are any type of Lambrusco, especially the sparkling version. Very mild and low acidity, I checked on the US prices and they seem to be way below $10 range!

urmaniac13 said:
Our favs are any type of Lambrusco, especially the sparkling version. Very mild and low acidity, I checked on the US prices and they seem to be way below $10 range!

Yes urmaniac, my favorite too. Can buy a 750ml bottle for around $8, or a 4 litre cask for $10. The cask is slightly lesser quality, but still a tasty drop! Cheap does not always = nasty.

In my opinion the best red ones are from the region of Württemberg, germany.. they have a great trollinger or Lemberger, but I don`t know if you can purchase that in the US...

I`m also fond of italian reds, like Montepulciano d`Abruzzo... You can buy almost everywhere her in Germany...

Back
Top Bottom