Type of Apples for Caramel Apples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What variety of apples do you use for Caramel Apples?

• Red Delicious

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Golden Delicious

• Gala

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • MacIntosh

• Granny Smith

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Braeburn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fuji

• Jonagold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pink Lady

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I was thinking that since I'd be covering apples with sweet caramel, I'd want to use a tart or tangy apple. What do you all like?

I ticked 'other' and I'm not sure whether you have the same varieties - but I like to use Worcester Pearmains, or Dunn's Seedlings or Cox's Orange Pippins - all are slightly smaller apples with a beautiful tart juice.

Fujis, Macs, and Granny Smithes are all ones that I have used in the past. This year I'm using Granny Smithes again as I know ffrom experience that they hold up really well :)

(Cool question, Allen - can hardly wait for it to be close enough to Halloween to make these...hmm, wonder if I need a "tester" batch, for quality assurnace purposes, of course :LOL:)

ICadvisor said:
Fujis, Macs, and Granny Smithes are all ones that I have used in the past. This year I'm using Granny Smithes again as I know ffrom experience that they hold up really well :)

(Cool question, Allen - can hardly wait for it to be close enough to Halloween to make these...hmm, wonder if I need a "tester" batch, for quality assurnace purposes, of course :LOL:)

I think you need them tested until they are perfect......I can do that for you:LOL:

Red, Granny, Macs, and Fuji... I'm not a huge fan of apples, but those are the ones I'll eat with caramel. Well I guess, if you deep fry or add a layer of sweetness to any of them, I'll eat it!

Question....

In the past I have always just melted down store bought caramel candies to use as the coating. Here however I cannot seem to locate any soft caramels to melt! (Please) Could anyone share a TNT caramel recipe with me? :)

I've made this recipe once, many, many, years ago. The end result was something extremely similar to a Kraft Vanilla Caramel square.

Cajeta
Mexican Caramel sauce

3 c goat’s milk
¾ c sugar
1 T light corn syrup
1 vanilla bean
¼ t baking soda, dissolved in 1 T water
1 ½ t dark rum
1 ½ t pineapple juice

Combine the goat’s milk, sugar, corn syrup in a pan. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scraping the seeds off the pod, and into the milk. Drop the pod halves into the milk as well. Bring to a boil. Add the baking soda. The mixture will foam. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, uncovered, until it turns to light caramel, about 45 minutes. Strain the caramel to remove the vanilla pods. Stir in the rum and pineapple juice.

Someone, on another thread, mentioned making caramel with Eagle Brand. For the life of me, I can't remember what thread it was.

You're a life saver Allen, or should I say a Kraft caramel! Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it turns out later in the month :) (I'm going to omit the rum though, I hope it won't make a difference?)

I love apples!

I like all different types of apples. My favorites are granny smith, red & golden delicous, and a few others. In fact I made an apple pie tonight using granny smith apples and its really good.:chef:

ICadvisor said:
You're a life saver Allen, or should I say a Kraft caramel! Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it turns out later in the month :) (I'm going to omit the rum though, I hope it won't make a difference?)

Probably not, but you might have to add just a bit more sugar. Taste it at the end of cooking and see.

Personally, I might want to make this using a Coconut Rum or Spiced Rum, just to see what kind of flavor it would have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom