The Moohoohuahahaha Challenge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
All right all you ex or current ghouls and goblins. I know that Holloween is just around the corner. To that end, I challenge all of you to create a spooktacular Treat-Fest. We have a few people, or should I dare call them humans at all during this spooky season, who unashamedly admit to having a sweet tooth so large as to nearly disfugure their faces. Let's see. Who might they be? Maybe Chocoholic? The name would leave one to believe... And we know about Jkath, and Crewsk by their many posts on the sweet-treat boards. And then there are the closet sweet-freaks as well, who don't want to admit that they love sweets more than might be healthy or wise, like me. And yes I know that its not just sweets that get us into trouble, but highly processed flours, fruit juices, smashed spuds, corn on the cob, etc. We assault our bodies with sugar, and starches that rapidly convert to blood sugar, and fats. Thus, my challenge.

The rules:
1. Sweet treats must contain wholesome ingredients that will regulate blood sugar, ingredients such as pectin, soluble fiber, cinamon, etc.

2. Recipes must satisfy the most extreme sweet cravings and seem decadent, even bad.

3. Recipes must be TNT, something you know works.

4. Recipes should follow the Holloween theme.

5. Recipes must contain commonly found food items.

6. Recipes must not be overly expensive.

There you have it, the Goodweed Holloween Spooktacular Challenge. I think we are up for it. We have a unique blend of talents and abilities among this group. And remember, what we learn from this exercise will not only benefit us, but our children as they learn that they can satisfy their little sweet teeth with wholesome, healthy foods.

Now, let's see whatcha got.:mrgreen:

I'll start the challenge with this recipe.
Jack-o-lantern Pies

Pumpkin Filling:
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 cup Splenda
2 large eggs
12 oz. evaporated milk
15 oz. can pumpkin

Combine sugar, cloves, ginger, Splenda, salt, and cinnamon. Add teh milk and eggs. Stir with whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside.

Crust:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup Splenda
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1/4 tsp. allspice

Stir all dry ingredients until well mixed. Add the oil and stir until moist.

Press the crust mixture into muffin tins, or pumpkin muffin tins to make a crust. Fill the crusts with the pumpkin filling. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 and bake for an additional 35 minutes or so. Insert a clean knif when you think they're done. If it comes out clean, remove the pies and cool for 2 to 3 hours. Decorate for teh holiday.

We use all whole grain ingredients in this recipe. The only "bad" food is the oil, and it's among the healthiest fats going. So overall, this is a very healthy desert that should satisfy even the bigest seet tooth, while preserving health and vitality.

Now, bring it on.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

See my post on peanutbutter cups and then sub splenda, and fiber and tell me if you like it.:LOL: Get out of here, halloween is for sweets and being ghoulish:mrgreen:

Heh when I was growing up one of the Halloween games my Dad would get us to play would be to hang a scone on a long piece of string, cover it with golden syrup (or treacle if you want) then try to eat it with your hands behind your back. Evil, evil game!

Well, it works, its decadent and cheap...don't know about healthy though :P.

You're on! How about some 'graveyard dirt' variations!

Almond Coconut Granola

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut

½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup green pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

6 tablespoons honey
1 cup mixed dried fruits such as raisins, cherries, and apricots

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, and salt. In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.

In a large jelly-roll pan spread granola evenly and bake in middle of oven, stirring halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool granola in pan on a rack and stir in dried fruits. Granola may be kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature 2 weeks.

Vanilla Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats

1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons sugar (sub splenda)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 300°F. Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Mix next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Combine oil, honey, and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well. Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.

Spread granola on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Oat & Nuts Granola

3 cups old-fashioned oats

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup dry nonfat milk powder
1/4 cup shelled unsalted sunflower seeds

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sunflower oil

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon maple extract

Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine old-fashioned oats, flour, golden brown sugar, almonds, walnuts, milk powder, sunflower seeds and salt in 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk vegetable oil, 1/2 cup water, honey, vanilla extract and maple extract in medium bowl to blend. Add to dry ingredients in pan and stir to coat well. Bake until granola is golden and crunchy, stirring frequently, about 45 minutes. Cool completely. (Granola can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

marmalady said:
You're on! How about some 'graveyard dirt' variations!

Almond Coconut Granola

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut

½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup green pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

6 tablespoons honey
1 cup mixed dried fruits such as raisins, cherries, and apricots

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, and salt. In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.

In a large jelly-roll pan spread granola evenly and bake in middle of oven, stirring halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool granola in pan on a rack and stir in dried fruits. Granola may be kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature 2 weeks.

Vanilla Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats

1 cup sliced almonds

1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons sugar (sub splenda)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 300°F. Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Mix next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Combine oil, honey, and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well. Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.

Spread granola on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Oat & Nuts Granola

3 cups old-fashioned oats

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup dry nonfat milk powder
1/4 cup shelled unsalted sunflower seeds

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sunflower oil

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon maple extract

Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine old-fashioned oats, flour, golden brown sugar, almonds, walnuts, milk powder, sunflower seeds and salt in 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk vegetable oil, 1/2 cup water, honey, vanilla extract and maple extract in medium bowl to blend. Add to dry ingredients in pan and stir to coat well. Bake until granola is golden and crunchy, stirring frequently, about 45 minutes. Cool completely. (Granola can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Thats What I'm talking about!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom