Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, Does anyone have The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread ??

I want to get feedback on how you like the book. Is it worth space on your bookshelf or rather a library check out book? All the reviews on Amazon.com were really positive. The only thing that anyone thought remotely negative about the book was the duration of time it took to make the breads.

What do my DC pals think?:)

Htc,

I was lucky and got the book when I bought my hearth kit. It's a lovely book and yes the duration for breads is long. But, you really get a superior bread by following the books directions..I found it intimidating at first, new words, long instructions, but, I dug in my heels and find I am determined to make these breads and make them right...Go take a peek at the book first before you buy it...See if you want to get that involved... If so get the book the pictures alone are worth it :LOL: If I were just starting to make breads, I'd probably run for cover, but, I've done this for a time and really love the process and results of making m own breads...DH bought me a breadmaker, but, it just sits there collecting dust I love getting into the dough the kneading and such...Makes one feel like they have really done something when that bread comes out of the oven...
Now that I've talked you to death..Give the book a look and see what you think about it..I love it and the other bread book that came with it, bread made easy by Beth Hensperger it's a wonderful book and the recipe for callah bread is wonderful

kadesma:)

Kadesma, I put the book on hold at the library. :) I'll let you know how I like it. I have just started dabbling with bread making again. Before I would knead by hand, which I found really hard. Now I have a kitchenaid stand mixer and love how easy it seems to make bread. :)

Htc,

I had trouble at first with kneading, but, I finally got the hang of it and love doing it now..Some of the recipes in this book are what I call wet and messy to knead by hand, so I use my Kitchen aid stand mixer as well, it does a beautiful job..I hope you enjoy the book, I think you will, I've seen your cakes so I know you really love what you do and I'll bet your bread is as beautiful as your cake...BTW, saw your rolls you made, they looked great.

kadesma

Thanks Kadesma! I can't wait to get the book. While I wait, I am going to try my hand a making a loaf of white or whole wheat bread. :)

That sounds great, I love all breads, now you've given me the bread making bug:LOL: I think I'll go do a french bread for tomorrow, ooops maybe I should do 2 just in case.:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

Of course, if you can get it from your library, do so. Only you know whether it is worth the purchase price. Look it over first and decide whether it is suited for your cookbook library.

The book is definitely geared towards the serious home bread-maker with equal value for a professional baker.

I like the copious pix - especially of dough(s) before baking, shaping techniques, bread interiors.

If you want to know *why* things happen the way they do, the book is excellent.

The recipes cover many types of bread - the emphasis is on freeform artisan style breads made with a preferment - there is also a good section on sourdough (among many excellent recipes).

This is the best of Reinhart's books and I would recommend it. Just remember, no one knows everything so don't be afraid to experiment or modify his recipes for your own kitchen and baking style.

Last edited:
Thanks subfuscpersona! I am in the process of making the light wheat loaf as we speak. :chef: My biggest fear is that it will taste great out of the oven and on the first day, but then on the second or third day, it won't taste so good and be hard and dry.

How do you experienced bread makers slice even pieces for sandwiches? I'm going to walk to my local bread store and beg nicely for them to use their machine to cut my loaf, if I have time. (Of course I'll have to pick up some of the store sweets while I'm there. ):)

Hey kadesma, subfuscpersona, check this out!!!

This is my first loaf from the book! It's a light wheat. I am trying REALLY REALLY hard to follow the recommendations from the book and let it cool at least an hour or two before slicing into it. :pig: :pig: :pig: Man, this is really hard but I want to follow the advice to try the bread as the author intended.

I'm so exicted!!

Htc,

that loaf looks wonderfull. I know what you mean and to me there is nothing as good as a slice of HOT right out of the oven bread..I'd be cutting into that baby with butter right beside...
You mentioned sliceing the bread, that was a pain for me I could never get the slices the same, but i found a wooden box like thing you set the bread into it had slits on the sides that guided your knife, it was a great help..Now, it has dissapeared into DH vast array of things he has fioxed for me!!! You know used them wrong so they are kaput..I'm going toscout around and see if I can find one on the net or in a store like bed bath and beyond...
Emmm you sure did a great job with that bread.
kadesma:)

I got this book from the library yesterday pending arrival from Santa Clause. Wow... pretty good book. A very good companion to "Bread Alone".

I do have a question regarding the sourdough section.... Why does he suddenly use yeast? It seems to me that the addition of store bought yeast would make the loaves less... ahh.. sour...

My starters are like he said many are... on the dry side of the spectrum. Has anyone who had typically used dry starters have anything to say when they tried a wet one from this book?

Ahhh! The answer!

Michael_Schaap said:
I got this book from the library yesterday pending arrival from Santa Clause. Wow... pretty good book. A very good companion to "Bread Alone".

I do have a question regarding the sourdough section.... Why does he suddenly use yeast? It seems to me that the addition of store bought yeast would make the loaves less... ahh.. sour...

Ah ha! :LOL: The answer is on page 234:)
He says that the addition of the store yeast will give a primary firmentation of 90 minutes and proofing of 60 minutes. He does say it would be less sour as I figured. Has anyone made the breads both ways to commend?

hi michael

I also have The Bread Bakers Apprentice - I love it!

Once the holidays die down, I wanted to start experimenting with sourdough. BTW, for the price of 2 stamps, you can get about 1 TBS true sourdough starter - click on Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter for more info. I've done it and eventually you do get the yeast, though you may have to wait several months.

My inicial sourdough trial

The inicial sourdough did not fair to well. It looked great, but when it came to develope the sourdough before the final dough it died on me for some reason. Not sure... still thinking of it... but but...

I made the italian bread just exactly how he said too and it WAS INCREDIBLE! I can not believe how good this was. I had always had problems with getting a good crust ratio. This was like absolutly perfect. I did it just as he said... with the pan of water on the bottom and spraying the oven... also had a pizza stone.

One thing though.... I let it rise... then he said to be careful with it to not deflate it completely... but it was kinda krusty on top from dryness... had to kneed a bit.... how do you guys deal with this?

Hi all...
my name is sari,...i'm new here...sounds like this forum is very interesting. Anyway...i'm looking for a japanese cooking book, that specializes on japanese dessert (written in english ofcourse...), does anyone know the name? it's rather hard to find it in my local book store...the ones i see usually only focus on the dishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom