Apple Dump Cake Recipe (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Apple Dump Cake

1 ½ c sugar
1 ¼ c vegetable oil (do NOT substitute apple sauce for oil!)
2 eggs
3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 c diced apples
1 c chopped nuts
1 c raisins, optional.

Preheat oven to 350.

Put all ingredients into a large bowl. Mix with your hands as you would a meatloaf, gently but thoroughly. Do not use a spoon or a mixer. Bake in an ungreased 9”x13” pan for 1 hour. Cool before cutting.

I wonder, in certain cake recipes (also many of the carrot cake recipes), they specifically call for "vegetable oil"... personally I would think butter would taste much better, is there any reason for the usage of "vegetable oil"?? Can anyone explain? Stacey?....

I know there's a reason, Licia, I just can't recall it at the moment (cold, rainy Friday, and my mind decided to take the day off!). I have to admit that I want--and need--to learn more about the chemistry of baking but I'd assume that it has something to do with needing the liquid form of oil as opposed to butter and butter having a low melt point. But that's just a really bad guess!:huh: I'll see what I can come up with later this afternoon and let you know. :rolleyes:

Thanx Stacey!! No stress... have a good day!! Now it is gym time for me... see ya later!!

Melted butter works well when drizzled in during the mixing portion. However, most of the ingredients are cold. If the butter isn't melted, it is very difficult to evenly distribute throughout the batter. Oil is very easy do work with, but has very little flavor. It is used to porvide a moist texture in the final product.

And as for apple dump cake recipes, the one posted here looks like a real winner.

For a change of pace, and when you're in a hurry, an easy, but very tasty apple dump cake can be made by pouring apple pie filling into a 15 inch rectangular cake pan, spreading evenly (this actually works better with 2 cans of apple pie filling). Next, open a box of spice-cake mix and evenly sprinkle over the pie filling. Drizzle 1 stick of melted butter all over the cake mix. Place in a pre-heted 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. REmove when the top begins to brown aroound the edges. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Dump cakes in general are easy, yummy, and convenient. Play with cake flavor combinations and the fruits you use. Try cherry, appricot or peach, apple, blueberry (yum), raisins with brown sugar and cinnamon, etc. You cn even make a cheesecake custard and put a home-made or store bought cake mix on top. it's all good.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GW, dump cake and ice cream is the default dessert around here (for some reason, we call it cobbler). Try making the blueberry version with a lemon cake mix. Heavenly.

Other good combos:
cherry pie filling and choc cake mix
crushed pineapple and yellow cake mix

I am beginning to prefer fresh fruit in these concoctions, but the canned pie filling works extremely well. Vanilla ice cream (French or bean) is a must, though.

dump cakes

Sounds so easy and good. Blueberry with lemon sounds out of this world. Have to try that soon. mudbug, why didn't you tell me before? Or do you think I'm watching my weight? Naw, it'll never happen will always be size 12 and raising. Thanks for sharing.

I made one of these yesterday and used 1 c of chopped fresh cranberries in place of the raisins. It was delicious! Tasted just like fall! :)

Back
Top Bottom