Cheddar and Thyme Gougeres

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
...or you can call them cheese puffs.

Always looking for apps for the holiday season and I came across this really easy recipe and thought I'd give it a try. It's a nice light little mouthful that's tasty and not very filling.

You can vary the cheeses used and the herbs as well.

Recipe:

3/4 C Water
1/2 tsp Salt
6 Tb Unsalted Butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
3/4 C AP Flour
4 Eggs
1 1/2 Tb Chopped Fresh Thyme (or other herb)
1 C Grated Cheddar (or other cheese)

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Put the water, salt and butter into a 2-3 quart sauce pan, bring to a boil.

Add the flour all at once and beat vigorously, still on the heat, with a stiff whisk or wooden spoon until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat.

Beat the eggs into the dough one at a time using a food processor, electric mixer or a spoon/whisk. Mix in the thyme and half of the cheese.

Spoon or pipe teaspoon amounts of the dough 1" apart onto parchment covered cookie sheets. Top each with a pinch of the remaining cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

If you like, you can freeze the uncooked dough on the cookie sheets and transfer them to a container for later use.

Thanks Andy,

my kids love things like this, so will try it for them this weekend..
kadesma

...or you can call them cheese puffs
But your name is so neat, and why not jazz up the title given to cheese puffs? :) I love these little guys, so addictive! Thanks for sharing this recipe Andy :)

Oh yum yum yum!

I believe I may try to make them with margerine :ohmy: and sheep's milk cheese so my friend can enjoy them. Otherwise I'd eat them all myself!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom