How do you store/display your pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I am just curious, do you all stack your pans in cabinets under the counters and then the lids get seperated and are everywhere? Or have you all come up with some other creative solution?

I am a little anal about putting the right top with the right bottom

I am blessed with a really old electric stove. It's a little bigger than a modern stove, however, the oven is only half as wide, and set on the right-hand side. The left side is a pull-out drawer, DEEP, in which I store my pots and pans. I have a 22 qt, 16 qt, 12 qt stockpots, a 4 qt, and 3 qt soup pot, a 2 qt, 1.5 qt, and 1 qt saucepans. I have a couple different pans stowed in the back. The first eight pans are nestled together to save on space. Lids are also stowed in this space, although they aren't really organized. I've also lost the lid to the 12 qt stockpot. Hopefully it will turn up, but my MIL seems to think it fell into the trash can one night, probably knocked off by a cat.

I have three cast iron skillets, a 8", 10", and 12". My MIL has brought over three 12", a couple 10", one or two 8", and a few 6" skillets. I try to keep all of them nestled together, separated by cardboard to keep the surfaces from scratching and corroding while in contact. These skillets are all stored in the pan storage under the oven and other storage drawer.

Andy M. said:
In cabinets, some with lids on some with lids separate.

That's actually Part I for pots and pans I use on a regular basis.

Part II is one floor down in the unfinished half of the basement. I have steel racks and other horizontal surfaces that hold my 12-quart and larger pots along with roasting pans and other stuff I don't use all that often.

do you all stack your pans in cabinets under the counters and then the lids get seperated and are everywhere

yes that's me. i just don't have the space to store them neatly

My pans are all in 2 drawers on the right side of the range. One drawer has the pots with the correct lid in place, and the second drawer has all my skillets and saute pans, only one of which has a lid, and that too is in place on the pan. We planned for lots of storage space (both of these drawers are 8" deep) when we remodeled the kitchen 4 years ago, so keeping pans and lids together hasn't been an issue. We also have a cabinet on the left side of the range with all of our Corningware and Visions ovenware. That cabinet has 2 rollout shelves that hold an amazing amount of cookware. For my money, when you do a remodel, it's more than worth the expense to have specialized cabinets installed for those things that we all use but have trouble storing properly.

The pots, my wok and the pancake skillet live in a cabinet next to the stove. My two frying pans I hang on the wall - they are teflon-coated and I don't want to risk them getting scratched because I would have to stack them into the cupboard. The frying pan lids (glass) I put in a wall rack I got from Ikea. Ideally, I would like to hang the wok up as well becasue it's decorative, but I only use it a couple of times a year and prefer not to have to clean it before I use it.

I also have a big old cooking pot, black with burnt-in fat, that I use for deep-frying and jam making, that lives on top of the kitchen cabinets.

Hahahah... (neat thread).... ahh... most of my pans are cast iron. Tossing them in the shelving never realy was a very clean idea. I have a small wall standing like kitchen island. There are hooks on it and I hand all of my cast iron there. That way it stays dry and out of the way... you dont want to have one of these things fall on your foot:w00t2:

I think that the best way to store pots & pans is to hang them. My stainless steel set is hanging under the top self of a baker's rack. That way they don't touch each other, and doing this helps to keep unsightly nicks & scratches at bay.

~Corey123.

i bought a wall rack to hang the pans and smaller pots over the microwave, and the lids are stored vertically in an old lp album rack, every other rail removed so they'd fit, in a bottom drawer.
baking sheets, dishes get stored in the oven, along with my new pizza stone (great tip andy m! thanks) inverted, and covered with aluminum foil to protect it.

I have a wall-mounted pot rack I love, love, love. I took it to a glass place & had a mirror affixed to the back, so it looks like a window. (The big colander is hanging on it too.) Some under the cabinets stacked by size, some lids inverterted; and some on shelves in cupboards. In my catalog-order days, I bought a shelf you can stack a few plates and bowls in compartment like dividers. The big roaster and pizza trays are in the oven. (If I'm really tired, the big Dutch oven temporarily sits in the dishwasher :LOL: ) On the kitchen counter I have a vanilla crockery-like pitcher that holds whisks, garlic press, wine bottle opener, and silicone utensils. I HATE clutter. One of the catalogs I recall has a shelf-like thingy I may order that holds pot lids vertically. I HATE clutter. Did I mention I HATE clutter?

Most of our pots and pans hang from the ceiling (We have wooden rafters, and there were nails there when we moved in, so...)

The rest and the lids go into a cabinet. Nothing fancy.

John

Not that any of you are doing it, but stacking your new stainless steel cookware set isn't a good idea either.

This also paves the way for nicks, scatches, dents & abrasions. Hanging them up with a little bit of space between them is the best way to store them!

I also keep the glass lids in a wire basket that I didn't have any use for. I had to buy that just to get the small rack that came with it so that I could take the scanner off the desktop and put it down below on the bottom self over the printer.

But it wasn't until I bought the new cookware that that basket came in quite handy for the glass lids to the pans!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I have a couple of storage areas.

Colorful Le Creuset - I have those tall metal floor LC pot racks that I display all my LC on.

All Clad - I only have a few pieces of that but I have a metal ceiling basket hanger that I place them on.

All other cookware - in a pull out base cabinet in the kitchen next to the stove.

Overage is down the cellar hanging on cuphooks.:pig:

I store some of them on a new addition - a pot rockabove my penisual (my new ss) - easy to reach and put away when cleaned. However, I also have a lazy susan that has a bunch of "not often used" pots and pans with the lids - pans on one side, lids on another (I'm anal, remember, everything has its place and has to be properly stored - I drive my family nuts!)

Here's what we did..

While remodeling and trying to come up with a solution for the exhaust fan (big box) over the 1950 Roper stove, we decided to hang a rack and display copper pans. Well, after shopping around we were shocked at the price of copper. We, "she" , came up with the stainless.

Attachments

• kitchencrop.jpg
    kitchencrop.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 225
My kitchen has a very low ceiling, and not much cupboard space, so I have a wall mounted rack for all my pots and pans, and the two hanging baskets that came with it hold the lids.

img_230801_0_9dc5560eb7f3d17e62597a2c298a0591.jpg

Back
Top Bottom