Brown Cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james309

Assistant Cook
I have tried using several recipes to make cheesecake. Every time I make one when I take it out of the oven the top is brown. It tastes great, but how do I get the creamy looking top I am so accustomed to seeing? Thanks for your help.

Jim

A baked cheesecake is always going to have some browning. A sourcream topping once it is baked would disguise it. I am not sure if you could top the cheesecake with a disk of greaseproof/silicon baking paper halfway through cooking, I would imagine that would work, though I haven't tried it.

I knew someone would help me out with American terminology ;) We don't call it that here! Thanks SpongeBobAlix!

It can take some pretty major experimentation to get it right, but I've successfully lowered the oven temps/increased the baking times and gotten pale cheesecake tops in the process. It did take a lot of undercooked/overcooked cakes to achieve this though.

The only thing you're doing when you bake a cheesecake is cooking the raw egg in the batter. Eggs by themselves cook in the 150-160 range but when you dilute them in batter, it takes temperatures in the 1170-180s (or so I've been told). Maillard browning doesn't occur with much speed/intensity until you reach temps of 250+. So, bake your cake at low temps and you should get a nice pale top. Don't go too low though or you might end up with food safety issues.

Back
Top Bottom