Blender vs. Food Processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blutch

Assistant Cook
So... do you really need BOTH a blender and a food processor?

If so, why?

If not, which do you get first?

Thanks!

B

Welcome to the site blutch.

A fp can do many things that a blender can not do. food processors usually come with many different attachments that let you slice, chop, knead dough and probably a few other things. Lets say you were making a cucumber salad and it called for a lot of sliced cucumbers. A fp would make very short work of something like that.

A blender purees or liquifies things. This comes in very handy for things like soups if you want the end product to be very smooth.

I only have a fd. I do not have a blender. There are times when I make soups that need to be blended. I use my fd for that sometimes, but it never gets completely smooth.

As for which you should buy first, well that all depends on what you will be using it for. A blender will be less expensive, but a fp can do more. A fd can sort of be used sometimes as a blender with mediocre results, but a blender can usualy not be used as a pf.

Hi Blutch, welcome!

Ditto to what GB said. I really think it's personal preference. Depending on what you think you will use more. Once I tried playing around w/ a quick balsamic vinegar & sun dried tomato infusion dressing thing. Didn't work really well with the FP, I found I needed to use a lot more vinegar than I wanted to to get the tomatoes to liquefy.

I love my food processor but hardly ever use my blender - it's just my preference. The food processor can rough chop or do more of a puree depending on how long it processes. A blender, IMHO, can't rough chop because the area is too small where the food is turned over. By the time it turns over part of it is already pureed.

Hi blutch,

GB really did a fantastic job of suming up the perks of both pieces of equiptment. After having neither for many months in Ireland after we moved here, my DH suprised me with a big treat (we'd just moved houses and he said it was to thank me for all my hard work with the move, awwww). Is is a food processor that comes with a seperate blender attachment! It's so handy to have both now and would say that I use each part about the same amount of the time. Perhaps a two-in-one would be the way to go for you too blutch :)

Well, the food processor chops, slices & shreds as well as purees, but the blender can puree also. I own both.

Both machines have their drawbacks.

1. The food processor has a more powerful motor, but it spins slower than the motor in the blender. It has a wider work bowl, allowing larger volumes of food to be processed at a time.

2. The blender allows you to get a much finer puree because the motor spins faster. But if you are prureeing vegetables, specially squash, it will just sit there and won't move unless you add some liquid to it. The blades are smaller than the one in a food processor.

3. In a blender, you must hold the cover on tightly before you process liquids
or you'll get a bath. In a food processor, the cover is on tightly anyway, since
the bowl and lid must be engaged with the safety start switch to work.

I have not used the blender yet, but the food processor is used just about every time I cook, especially things for holoiday meals like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Fourth of July. It's a real work saver when you don't want to take the time to chop, dice, shred or slice things by hand.

And the pulse feature helps keep you from overprocessing certain foods.

~Corey123.

The bottom line is, do you ever have the need to make any dishes (sauces, soups, etc.) that require them to be very smooth? If so, then you need a blender in addition to a food processor. If not, then just get the food processor.

Not too long ago, I cooked a pot roast. I added the usual vegetables such as onions, bell pepper, celery and carrots when starting out after browning the roast in the kettle first.

When the meat was done, and the time came to make the gravy, I decided to try something different. Different, but normal. Instead of making a roux for the gravy like I usually do, I took all of the cooked softened veggies out of the juice left in the kettle, put them into the food processor and pureed them to a fine pulp, added the pureed veggies back into to the meat juice and had perfectly made gravy.

No flour was used at all. This is a good way to cut down on carbs, which flour has, if you want flawless low-carb gravy for your roasts & roast poultry.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom