REC:Scalloped Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
I like eggplant but sometimes you want to have it in a dish that is not loaded with tomatoe sauce, or that is Greek inspired. I went hunting and found this one for scalloped eggplant..don't know if I'd have thought of that, but it sure sounds delicious!

Scalloped Eggplant

eggplntcas2.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut up
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • water
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons grated onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup half-and-half or milk
  • 1/2 cup coarse cracker crumbs, saltines
  • 3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack mixture
PREPARATION:

Cook eggplant in boiling water with the 1 teaspoon salt until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter, grated onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; blend well.

Whisk egg with milk; stir into the eggplant mixture.Stir in cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Bake in a lightly buttered 1-quart casserole at 325° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set in center.

Or, bake in 4 lightly buttered 6-ounce ramekins for individual servings. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and continue to bake until cheese is melted and browned.

Serves 4.

We really like eggplant and this looks like a nice change..I'd have never thought of it either..Thanks for scouting around and finding it..I am going to make a copy and try this soon...

kadesma:)

I like the looks of this recipe!! I am one that did not ever have eggplant growing up and am not sure of it in some dishes. I do know that I will have to copy and send to my oldest daughter though; she loves the stuff.

Piccolina, this looks lusciouis...and what a nice change from adding tomato sauce. This would make a great side with roasted chicken, or all by itself (by myself :mrgreen: ). Thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom