ISO: Recipe ideas with Brussell Sprouts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
We found very good batch of brussell sprouts on sale yesterday we bought 2kg of them. (Cristiano still seems to think with the standard of family of 5, which he was the head of until 3 and a half years ago, and has a habit of buying things in BULK!!)

We have our favourite recipe, to bake them in bechamel sauce with a few variety of cheeses. But now we have so much of them, we are interested in trying out something new as well... does anyone have an interesting, tasty idea for brussel sprouts??

Hi Licia, they are not my favourite vegetable, but as with most anything the right recipe will have me coming back for more...Here are two takes on brussel sprouts that you may and Cris enjoy - the chestnuts add an Italian angle to these two recipes, I think :)

Brussel Sprouts with Chestnuts and Bacon

Here's a perfect side dish for the hectic holidays. You can cook the brussels sprouts one day ahead; cool them under cold running water, then drain, cover and refrigerate.

1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved

6 bacon slices, coarsely chopped

2 1/4 cups peeled roasted chestnuts

(about 1 1/4 pounds) or jarred chestnuts (about 12 ounces), halved

1/2 cup water

Cook brussels sprouts in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain.
Sauté chopped bacon in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain.

Heat bacon drippings in skillet over medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts and chestnuts and sauté until brussels sprouts begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and cook until brussels sprouts are tender and most of liquid is absorbed but mixture is still moist, about 3 minutes longer. Stir in bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Maple Glazed Brussel Sprouts with Chestnuts

Serves: 10

Preparation time:

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup chestnuts (fresh roasted or canned)
  • 1 pound brussels sprouts
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 deg. F.

Bring 2 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil.

If fresh chestnuts are used, shell with a paring knife and toast on a cookie sheet in the oven until the meat pulls from the shell and the shell and skin can be easily removed. If canned chestnuts are used, drain and dry them.

Trim the outside leaves from the Brussels sprouts and cut 1/4-inch deep cross in the bottoms of each. Drop them in the boiling salted water and cook until they are fork tender. Drain the sprouts and drop into ice water to shock and cool. Cut each Brussels sprout in half.

Add the maple syrup to a 10-inch saute pan and warm. Add the Brussels sprouts and bring to a boil. Quickly add the chestnuts and stir in the whole butter. The syrup and butter will thicken and glaze the sprouts.

Season with salt and pepper and serve.

:w00t2: :w00t2: :w00t2: Right on Jessica, what a great idea, combination of Brussell Sprouts and Chestnuts!! Gnam!! (Italian version of Yum!!:) ) Both recipes sound sooo good!! As the luck has it just the other day one of our friends gave us a sackful of chestnuts that he had collected from his garden, thus we are good to go!!... wait... just one thing... can I borrow your jar of maple syrup!!?:rolleyes:

simmer in white wine and chicken broth

blanche and then pan saute in garlic and olive oil

halve and roast at 400* in olive oil, panceta, (stir every 5 min) rosemary or thyme (last 5 min), and sprinkle with balsmaic vinegar at the end! yum cook time total 20-25 min.

such a great veg! and so maligned through bad cooking.

Slice thinly, pan fry in a little butter (like courgettes) squeeze of lemon juice and a few almond flakes.

Robo410 said:
such a great veg! and so maligned through bad cooking.

This is soooo true!!

Thanks Robo and Izzy for your mouth watering suggestion, too... now my Brussell horizon is expanding....:chef:

I have, on occasions when finding myself with a glut of the things, made brussel sprout soup.... I have to confess, I'm the only one that likes it, so I make it in small quantities.

Cook brussels in chicken stock with a couple of potatoes (for thickening). When cooked, zuzz in a food processor until smooth. Put back into the saucepan and re-heat. Swirl a little double cream into the soup and crumble a few croutons on top.

urmaniac13 said:
... wait... just one thing... can I borrow your jar of maple syrup!!?:rolleyes:
Ciao Licia, prego I really hope you both enjoy the recipes...Your question had me laughing out loud :LOL: Of course you can, let me just scope some out of the ecconomy sized barrel that every Canadian has and I'll send it to you in a jiff :D

Okay, I wish that were true, I'd love to help you out!...It's hard to find good maple syrup in Europe I know, so as a compromise I offer this recipe:

Carrots and Brussel Sprouts in Brown Sugar Sauce

2 pounds Baby carrots -- peeled

2 pounds Brussel sprouts -- trimed

1 1/2 cups Chicken stock (or other stock)

6 tablespoons Butter

1/2 cup Light brown sugar -- lightly

1 tablespoon Fresh ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Blanch the carrots in a large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender,
about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the carrots and put them
in a bowl of ice water. Return the water to a boil and add the brussel
sprouts and blanch until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to
another bowl of water. When carrots and brussel sprouts are cool, drain.
Bring the stock, butter and sugar to a boil in a large, heavy skillet,
stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the carrots and cook for 5 to 6
minutes, stirring gently to coat the carrots with the sauce. Add the
brussel sprouts, pepper and salt and cook for several minutes, stirring
gently to coat. Serve immediately. Serves 8 people

Whoa Jessica, I thought you said you didn't like Brussell Sprouts!! And you come up with such brilliant recipes!! Imagine what you can do with your favourite veg!! Anyway to us they are one of our prefered winter vegs along with Broccolis, they are all up for trial!! mmm mmm....thanks again Did I tell you U ROCK!!?:punk: :punk: :chef:

urmaniac13 said:
:w00t2: :w00t2: :w00t2: Right on Jessica, what a great idea, combination of Brussell Sprouts and Chestnuts!! Gnam!! (Italian version of Yum!!:) ) Both recipes sound sooo good!! As the luck has it just the other day one of our friends gave us a sackful of chestnuts that he had collected from his garden, thus we are good to go!!... wait... just one thing... can I borrow your jar of maple syrup!!?:rolleyes:

Maybe you can substitute golden syrup? I know it's sold in the UK, not sure if it's sold in Italy though. It wont have the maple flavor, but it's a sweet syrup.

a casserole of hanover petite brussels sprouts, cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream and/or whole milk, cabot seriously sharp cheese, & black pepper is good.

amber said:
Maybe you can substitute golden syrup? I know it's sold in the UK, not sure if it's sold in Italy though. It wont have the maple flavor, but it's a sweet syrup.

yes, I also think of that... probably the forest honey is another good sub too, a different flavour but equally unique and sweet!!:)

daisy said:
Greek Style Brussels Sprouts
2.5kg Brussels sprouts
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon rind
rind and juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup pimento (optional)

Cook Brussels sprouts in boiling water for 7 minutes, until barely tender. Whisk together the vinegar, lemon rind and juice, salt, pepper, parsley and pimento. Drain sprouts, transfer to a serving dish and toss with lemon mixture.

This is a different idea!! Never thought of doing anything like this with BS... Interesting!! I am glad I posted a Q... so many great suggestions... thank you all!!

Mish,

I can vouch for the Roasted Brussels Sprouts that (I can't remember who) posted in that thread. As soon as I saw Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, make them on FoodTV, I tried them that night and have been making them that way ever since. DELISH!

Lee

Here is a recipe from Ina Garten.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer them to a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp outside and tender inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the Brussels sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt (I like these salty like French fries) and serve hot.

Last edited:
urmaniac13 said:
Whoa Jessica, I thought you said you didn't like Brussell Sprouts!! And you come up with such brilliant recipes!! Imagine what you can do with your favourite veg!! Anyway to us they are one of our prefered winter vegs along with Broccolis, they are all up for trial!! mmm mmm....thanks again Did I tell you U ROCK!!?:punk: :punk: :chef:
Hi Licia & all,

Thank-you! This is essentially my mom's TNT, and I don't measure much on TNTs (usually) so I got this online (some how saying "oh just throw a bit of this and that in a pot", doesn't really help you if you've never made that recipe before :LOL:), but it's pretty much the exact same on I've had many times! (Picking out the sprouts as a child :mrgreen:) It's great. I've added a bit of corn syrup to it before to help the brown sugar sauce thicken up, so amber's suggestion would certainly work too!

I really like the idea of honey as well, I keep getting more and more into using honey in savoury dishes and keep being very happy wiht the results.

a casserole of hanover petite brussels sprouts, cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream and/or whole milk, cabot seriously sharp cheese, & black pepper is good.
Yum, practically anything that is baked in these ingredients is bound to be delicious, thanks for sharing this cool recipe luvs!! :)

This is the recipe that taught my husband to like brussels sprouts. Now he loves them.

THANKSGIVING BRUSSELS SPROUTS

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
6 strips bacon, chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts or almonds
2-3 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:
Bring large kettle of boiling water to boil and add cleaned brussels sprouts. Return to boil and cook a few minutes till sprouts are just crisp tender. Remove sprouts and immerge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain well and set aside. At this point, they may be refrigerated until the next day. Slowly saute bacon in large skillet until almost crisp. Add pine nuts and brown slightly. Add garlic and brussles sprouts and continue to saute until garlic is soft and sprouts are warm. Salt to taste.
Lower fat version: Delete bacon and saute sprouts in 2-3 tbl olive oil. Cook strips of sweet red pepper along with sprouts and garlic.

Another thing we do with sprouts is to toss them in with a pot roast, along with the carrots and potatoes. They're also delicious in stews.

Constance said:
This is the recipe that taught my husband to like brussels sprouts. Now he loves them.

THANKSGIVING BRUSSELS SPROUTS

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
6 strips bacon, chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts or almonds
2-3 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:
Bring large kettle of boiling water to boil and add cleaned brussels sprouts. Return to boil and cook a few minutes till sprouts are just crisp tender. Remove sprouts and immerge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain well and set aside. At this point, they may be refrigerated until the next day. Slowly saute bacon in large skillet until almost crisp. Add pine nuts and brown slightly. Add garlic and brussles sprouts and continue to saute until garlic is soft and sprouts are warm. Salt to taste.
Lower fat version: Delete bacon and saute sprouts in 2-3 tbl olive oil. Cook strips of sweet red pepper along with sprouts and garlic.

Another thing we do with sprouts is to toss them in with a pot roast, along with the carrots and potatoes. They're also delicious in stews.

Your recipe sounds like a great side, Constance. Thank you for posting it for us. I will also add the sprouts to my carrot/potato/onion combo for my next roast. What a colorful idea. :chef:

Hi Constance, I really like the pinenut idea, they can be a lot easier to get year round than chestnuts depending on where you live :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom