Santuko?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefhelper

Assistant Cook
I may be a little behind the times here, but I keep hearing about this type of knife and would like to know what the benefits of using this type of knife are (as opposed to a basic chef's knife).

Was it originally meant for Sushi (or is that a different knife)?

Sorry for the ignorance :blush:

chefhelper said:
I may be a little behind the times here, but I keep hearing about this type of knife and would like to know what the benefits of using this type of knife are (as opposed to a basic chef's knife).

Was it originally meant for Sushi (or is that a different knife)?

Sorry for the ignorance :blush:

No worries mate,figuring out knives isn't easy.

Some chefs have gone with Japanese knife making because some consider the Japanese to make the best steel.And the Japanese knife in general has a bluntish end,but not all of them.There are western style Japanese chefs knives like Gyuto which is considered by most chefs to be superior to the Santuko,me included.I wouldn't call the Santuko knife a fad because in Japan that is their chef knife and the blunt
end I've heard has something to do with a pointed blade not
being good luck,but as far as the knife's popularity over here in NA,definately a fad IMO.The pointed ones like the western knives and the Japanese Gyuto has more applications on a daily basis as the point of the knife become a useful application in itself.

The sushi knive is a totally different thing altogether.The sushi knife is made for either right or left hand and the blade is straight on one side and is angled on the other.This facilates a push allowing the flesh to fall away and not stick to the blade,and is never used for any other operation.

A santoku and a chefs knife can be used interchangeably, but they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

A santoku is a good slicing knife and really does well with vegetables, while a chefs knife is great at chopping since the curve of the blade allows for a good rocking motion.

Great explanation!

I have both and just last night I was using my Santoku. Much harder using the rocking motion because of the shape of the blade. However, I have an easier time making thin slices with the Santoku.

YMMV.

Paul

wow! Thanks guys :).
I'm actually going to be buying a new knife - looks like I'll look into a Gyuto or a Santuko. I have my beloved regular chef knife - my staple, but it would be nice to see if there's something else out there.

I appreciate your feedback...thanks again!!!

The santoku has replacd my chef's knife. I find no problem chopping (could it be that I am not the greatest chopper with a chef's knife?!?), slicing, or anything with it. I even went so far as to go inexpensive with the $19.99 (when it was 50% off for $9.99 no less!) Farberware Pro at BB&B.

Chris

I have found that I have lost some of my knife skills since I have been using a santuko knife a lot. It definitely prevents you from rocking the knife. It's much more of an up and down motion with a santuko.

i'm not a fan of the santoku either (btw, it's santoku, not santuko, afaik). dw uses a new set she just bought (wolfgang puck's cheapo 5pc set), and loves them. i've tried using a few, but it didn't feel comfortable, and i missed the rocking chop motion that jenny mentioned. about the only thing i use a santoku for, a serrated one, is cutting up pineapple.

did you know the word santoku means "three good things", in reference to the fact that it slices, dices, and minces well.

Last edited:
Never seen a serrated santoku either. You aren't referring to the kullens, are you. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my santoku and find it chops better than my very fine Henckels chef's knife. And I got my santoku on Amazon for about $25--a lesser quality (supposedly) Wusthof, but I actually like it better than the $85 Wusthofs I got for all our children several Christmases ago.

I also find it is more efficient with a rocking motion using the point because is is flatter. I don't have a problem rocking it to chop.

hi gretchen! :)

lol, it's not the standard wide serration, per se, but it's a ginsu santoku. (i know, GASP!)
i think my mil got a ginsu set as a gift for ordering so much crap from publisher's clearinghouse. she really believed ed would show up someday.

the ginsu santoku does rock chop right thru a cinder block, leather shoe, aluminum can, and then a tomato really nicely tho.

now i need a good recipe for cinder blocks, shoe leather, and coca cola in tomato sauce...:rolleyes:

Gretchen said:
And I got my santoku on Amazon for about $25--a lesser quality (supposedly) Wusthof, but I actually like it better than the $85 Wusthofs I got for all our children several Christmases ago.
Don't you LOVE when that happens!!! :)

Santoku

jennyema said:
I have found that I have lost some of my knife skills since I have been using a santuko knife a lot. It definitely prevents you from rocking the knife. It's much more of an up and down motion with a santuko.

jennyema...
This is just what I find.
The flat bottom leads to more complete cutting than the rocking a motion of a chef's knife.
I use a flat-push-down motion that works well for me.

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
i find that it's mostly the *direction* i'm cutting that changes with the two knives. both uses, i keep the knife in constant contact with the board, sliding the blade back and forth through my food (i.e., make the blade do the work and not your hand pushing down). with my chef's knife, i'm dragging the knife back towards me to slice through things. with the santoku, i push away from me for the cutting stroke.

i'm still much more comfortable with the chef's knife stroke for slicing up things neatly, like thin mushroom slices. but for chiffonade of fresh herbs, the santoku wins hands-down. and like bucky, i'm going to have to say the santoku rocks for hacking apart big things, like pineapple.

the current big debate is whether or not to acquire a new chef's knife... the katana series from calphalon looks sooooooo sexy, and fit my hand well on the (brief) test drive at bed bath & beyond.

Last edited:
i'm very picky about my knives, as i'm sure everyone is. i don't have a santoku b/c i haven't been able to find one that comfortably fits my hand. i really need my knives to feel like an extension of myself... i can cut fine with any knife... but it goes slower b/c i feel clumsy. i would like to have one, b/c i think i would have some great uses for one.

I was in the market last summer for a new chef's knife, and I went with a sontoku instead of the chef knife style. I Love the sontoku. I might get another chef knife, but that would just be for having a second option incase I had more then one person working at prepping food in my kitchen.

They might be a fad, but I don't see myself going back to a regular chef's knife anytime soon.

HB got me a good Santoku (about $60) for Christmas a couple of years ago, after I saw Rachel Rae using one. I always loved my chef's knife, but I like the Santoku better, as it fits my hand perfectly. I also don't seem to cut myself as often, but I think watching Food Network and learning about cutting skills has helped that. I've learned to tuck my fingers under. Duh...My daughter always said it wasn't a meal until Mom sliced her finger.
I've seen the serrated one...that's what Rachel is using now. Looks cool, but I don't think I need it. I have a good serrated bread knife.

Hungry said:
jennyema...
This is just what I find.
The flat bottom leads to more complete cutting than the rocking a motion of a chef's knife.
I use a flat-push-down motion that works well for me.

Charlie

I hate to throw the cooking school lessons out the window though! Rocking a knife is a much more efficient cutting motion for repetitive work. I used to be pretty good at it but you'd probably never know now .... and it's worse still with my new really light ceramic knives.

Back
Top Bottom