REC - Baked Stuffed Poblano Chilies with Salsa (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I made this with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. She made it with some chilies that a friend sent her from Hatch, NM. Wow, was it hot!! I am using poblano chilies like the recipe calls for and cheddar cheese instead of Monterey jack cheese.

Baked Stuffed Poblano Chilies with Salsa

6 large fresh poblano chilies
1 cup prepared salsa
1 cup cooked long-grain white rice
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons grated Monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup cottage cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted

Preheat broiler. Arrange chilies on heavy foil-lined baking sheet. Broil chilies until charred on all sides. Remove from oven and place in plastic or paper bag. Cool 15 minutes. Peel chilies. Cut one lengthwise slit in each chile and carefully remove seeds, leaving stems intact.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon 1/2 cup salsa into bottom of 11x7-inch baking dish. Combine rice, 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese, cottage cheese, onions, and pine nuts in medium bowl. Sppon rice mixture into chilies. Wrap each chile around filling to enclose and transfer to prepared baking dish. Spoon remaining salsa over stuffed chilies; sprinkle with remaining Monterey jack cheese. Bake until cheese melts and chilies are heated through, about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
This sounds really good, Sierra. The last time I made something like this, I guess I broiled the peppers too long. They were too hot for us to eat. Very dissapointing. I love stuffed peppers and my mouth was ready for them. This one sounds better!!

Interesting - I've always heard poblano chiles were the fresh form of the dried ancho chile - and that pasilla chiles were a different chile altogether - and yes, the pasilla I've had were much hotter than ancho chiles!

Were they fresh chiles? Poblanos are a darker green than green bell peppers, maybe a little smaller, and a little more angulated than round. They're a pretty mild chile, and maybe they'd work best for your stuffed chile dish - which sounds marvelous!

Most supermarkets are carrying these now, and if you have a Latino market nearby , I knwo you'll find them there!

No need to be sorry! The 'chile world' is so confusing sometimes!

If you can find some 'crema', the Mexican sour cream, try subbing that out for the cottage cheese - yummmm!

The peppers are out of the oven and I am eating one of them right now. The pine nuts added a nice nutty flavor. I should of used a hotter salsa or peppers this is a little too mild for me. But I will definitely be making this recipe again.

I've read for mexican dishes like this, using a fresh mexican cheese works the best, as it will get hot but not run or melt and keep its shape & texture while getting hot

Queso Fresco i've read is especially good for stuffing chilies.

ever used it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom