White wine to cook with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarEagle72

Assistant Cook
I am going to try a recipe today that calls for a cup of white wine. The recipe is a slow cooker chicken and noodle soup. I haven't ever really cooked with wine and I'm not sure what type I should buy. Also...the leftover wine...where should I store it and how long will it keep (as you can tell I'm the exact opposite of the guy from Sideways). :pig:

I think a chardonnay may be nice - not sweet, not overbearing. Make sure you taste it before you put it in your crockpot! (flashback to Julia Child)

Also, as for the leftover wine, you can either keep it on it's side or standing up, as long as you use it in a timely manner.

Julia Child always recommended Dry WHite Vermouth. It is a fortified wine (used mainly in dry martinis) and keeps well on a shelf in a dark closet for a ong time. It is flavored with subtle herbs so it also gives great flavor to soups and stews. Its the best all round cooking wine, especially for those who don't drink much alcohol because it does keep well once opened.

I like vermouth as well. If you want a 'regular' white wine, a chardonnay that doesn't have a strong oak flavor would be good. Also consider sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio. All of these are reasonably priced and available everywhere.

BTW, leftover wine can be frozen in convenient quantities for later use.

I have a few old ice-cube trays that I use to freeze left-over wine - red and white... they are not the prettiest things to look at as the red wine has stained the plastic a little... but they work fine and it means I always have a few wine cubes ready to zip up a dish, if I don't want to open another bottle. I wouldn't keep a bottle of wine opened for more than 3 days... and even then I think the flavour has gone. I don't like the wine boxes that have a couple of litres in them.

California chards are usually pretty oaky tasting. If you like that, then by all means use it.

I like a dry, neutral wine like pinot grigio.

Vermouth is ok, too, but tastes different that regular white wine, as it has been flavored with herbs and may also have some sugar added.

Like Jenny said, a Pinot Grigio (or Gris) will work well, as will a Sauvignon Blanc or Fume Blanc.

A Chardonnay would work, but like Jenny said you'll have to know how the wine would taste before hand since some chards can be oaky, while others are steely, and others are buttery.

A vermouth would taste different, but if you've never made the recipe before than you wouldn't know the difference between the vermouth and wine anyway. But the white wine can be used in more things (i.e. beurre blancs, steamed clams, poaching liquid, etc.) so I probably wouldn't get the vermouth unless you have specific recipes that call for it.

For most dishes, I just use an inexpensive chablis. With white wine you can generally keep it capped and refrigerated indefinitely, especially if you are just using it for cooking. Red wines WILL go sour, but whites typically don't. :chef:

Or, buy those little six packs of wine - I think each mini bottle holds one or two glasses worth. You use one for cooking and its brothers stay nicely sealed until you are ready for them again.

I've never heard of using wine in chicken noodle soup. I guess I would use pinot grigio or chardonnay. As for what to do with the leftover wine, why not drink it?:LOL: :mrgreen:

i love to use wine in the foods i cook, as long as i believe the flavor will complement, i don't get real picky, as to the left over, let the bottle stay in the cupboard, but for the first 14 days or so uncork for about 30- 60 mins everyday. when you sniff it and want a salad ; :idea: you have a good vinegar

I always recommend to people who don't drink wine to buy vermouth. It lasts longer in the bottle, and the sharp edge that white wine sometimes has isn't there. It works in most recipes. I (perhaps unfortunately) don't have that problem... Gee, I think there's some "leftover" champagne in the fridge right now ....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom