Connie's Sweet & Sour Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I whipped this up to go with frozen eggrolls and fried rice last night. We loved it...hope you will too.

Connie’s Sweet & Sour Sauce

1 can crushed pineapple
1 small can (from 6-pak) pineapple juice
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
6 tablespoons corn starch
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup catsup
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic (from jar)
1 tablespoon minced ginger (from jar)

Mix all ingredients together and stir over medium heat with a whisk until thick.

This looks a lot like the pineapple sweet and sour sauce I make. It's long been a favorite in my household. I'm happy to see that someone else has found the same thing. I'm puting my recipe in for comparison, and maybe to spark new ideas for variations. "Here 'tis, straight from my cookbook "You Can Be A Great Cook With Poultry: Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce This syrup based sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. It compliments egg rolls, chicken stir fries, won tons, etc. It can also be used with ham and pastas. * Ingredients: 2 cups chicken broth (water can be used if no broth is available) 1/4 tsp. ginger 1 tbs. onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped 2 cloves crushed garlic 16 oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple (substitute 1/2 cup lemon juice if used for seafood) 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (substitute 1/2 cup white granulated sugar if lemon juice is used) 1/8 cup balsamic, or apple cider vinegar 1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional but omit if lemon juice is used) 2 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 4 oz. water * Combine ingredients in order. After adding brown sugar, taste. Sauce should be fairly sweet with the ginger and chicken flavors tickling, not stomping the taste buds. Add vinegar and taste again. Add more brown sugar or vinegar as needed. But be careful. It is much easier to add just a bit more of something than it’s to try to remove it, or compensate for a too strong flavor. Mix the cornstarch and water together, and pour into the gently boiling sauce. Stir rapidly to distribute until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and cover. * Crushed pineapple is better for egg rolls, won tons, tempura coated items. Chunk pinea"pple is good with pork chops, ribs, chicken pieces, etc." Hope you enjoy it too. Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom