Sausage and Apple Stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Here's another Stuffing recipe. I haven't made this one. I don't know if I would use the water the recipe calls for, as I'm not the kind of person that uses much water in cooking. Maybe chicken/turkey stock, apple juice/cider, or a mixture of both.

Sausage and Apple Stuffing
Yield: ~ 10 c, enough for a 12 # Turkey

8 c White bread, cubed, ~16 slices
1 # Sausage meat
1 Onion, diced
2 Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
½ c Water
1 t Salt

Spread bread cubes on large cookie sheets; place in oven at 250ºF for 10 minutes; remove from oven; reserve. Cut sausage into thick slices. Brown 5 minutes on each side in a medium-size skillet, then break into small pieces. Cook 1 minute longer or until no trace of pink remains. Combine with bread cubes in a large bowl. Pour off drippings from skillet; reserving 2 T. Add onions, and sauté until tender. Stir in water and apples; heat to boiling. Pour over sausage mixture, add salt, toss lightly until evenly moist.

I'm with you on this one AllenMI. I think I would use either the turkey stock and/or apple juice. This sounds good! It could be made at Christmas for a different flavor than Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing!

I "third" that point, stock of some sort (even a veg one) would go a long ways here I think. I like this recipes and might add a bit of fresh herbs to it. Fennel and oregano both go well with pork sausage, but I'm not sure about oregano and apples...So fennel or parsely (or even tarragon) would probably be my first choice. Do you think it would matter much if white or red onions were used? :)

I usually only use red onions when a recipe specifically calls for them. Otherwise, I use large yellow onions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom