Suggestions please...need recipe for homemade dry rubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thier1754

Head Chef
We are researching putting together house blends of meat/poultry/seafood spices for our web store -- dry rubs that are just our own. We are working with a company that will put together whatever we want as a blend, but we would like to know what YOU all think you'd like to buy as a blend if you could. I've been reading here that a lot of people, when barbequing for instance, use five or six different spices/herbs/sauces when seasoning meat or poultry. Are there elements in common? I'd bet there are. If you all would like to be a part of our official FOCUS GROUP 8) , fire away! At this point, we're looking for dry ingredients, but if you add worchestershire or other wet ingredients, I'd like to know that, too. If anyone wants our web address, I think I have permission to give it out now...right, bubba, MJ, elf and all? It is http://www.thewhitewhale.com or for the express site/shopping cart: http://www.nexternal.com/whitewhale . Thanks, everyone!

Thats A nice little store. I can't help you with the dry rub thing. I wish I needed something. I suggest everyone should go buy 2-3 hundred items at this store!
thier, I was checking out your lobsters. That would be pretty cool to get Maine lobster delivered to my door step. Do you use dry ice? Hows that work?
Also, I see that they are free! Shipping free also! Must be A mistake I made.
Check out this website people:
https://secure9.nexternal.com/share...BusType=BtoC&Count1=80242335&Count2=997382760

Hi, MJ! Thanks for the nice compliment. :D As far as the lobster goes, the shipping is free indeed (you do have to pay for the lobbies!), and we have lobstermen in Portland, ME who ship our seafood out for us fresh out of the Atlantic. It's packed in ice and seaweed and delivered overnight. The lobster is incredible...nothing like the poor guys floating around in the grocery store tanks. Lots of other seafood available, too.

We're paid a little commission on every lobster order, but only if you go through the link on our site. Same with the flowers.

You can go to www.thewhitewhale.com/mainelobsters.htm and click on the link there to order or go direct from the express site by clicking on the link there. People love that fresh Maine lobster!

We have just closed our store and are throwing our fortunes to our little internet business. It's growing and expanding and we'd love to spoil our new discusscooking friends if you see something you need. Suggestions are much appreciated as we expand. Thanks for being so good to me, everybody. I really appreciate it!

Regarding spice blends, everytime I order from Penzeys they send me a complimentary spice blend (sandwich sprinkle, mediterranean blend etc.). I won't go near the stuff.

thier1754 said:
Hi, MJ! Thanks for the nice compliment. :D As far as the lobster goes, the shipping is free indeed (you do have to pay for the lobbies!), and we have lobstermen in Portland, ME who ship our seafood out for us fresh out of the Atlantic. It's packed in ice and seaweed and delivered overnight. The lobster is incredible...nothing like the poor guys floating around in the grocery store tanks. Lots of other seafood available, too.

We're paid a little commission on every lobster order, but only if you go through the link on our site. Same with the flowers.

You can go to www.thewhitewhale.com/mainelobsters.htm and click on the link there to order or go direct from the express site by clicking on the link there. People love that fresh Maine lobster! Is it so?

We have just closed our store and are throwing our fortunes to our little internet business. It's growing and expanding and we'd love to spoil our new discusscooking friends if you see something you need. Suggestions are much appreciated as we expand. Thanks for being so good to me, everybody. I really appreciate it!

thier, I never noticed this, but I had Main Lobsters direct bookmarked on my favorites A long time ago! I think I saw them on T.V.. Is this your connection?? I always wanted to try Maine lobster. Thats on my list of things to do when I retire. Go to Maine and try the lobster!

Yes, they're our connection. We've worked with others, but these guys are the best. If you use our link, you don't pay more, they just share the profit with us. I grew up on the west coast, so I came late to the lobster world, but I am definitely a convert. It's wonderful stuff.

I read last week somewhere that, when some of the early European settlers were living on the east coast, they were forced to eat lobster every day and were complaining to their leaders that they couldn't stand one more day of the stuff. I guess they considered it not "real food", like beef, etc. back home -- it was that wierd "new world" food. So funny! Now it's such a delicacy... :)

My husband grew up in Maine and they loved lobster rolls, lobster baked and stuffed, fried clams, clam cakes. When Paul's mom came from Maine to visit, she always brought Italian sandwiches and raspberry cream turnovers. Can't find either of those here. The sandwiches were from a little shop in Biddeford, ME called Ralph's Italian Sandwiches, and the bread/roll was made on the premises. Every day at noon they put up a sign that said, "Out of bread", closed the shop and went fishing! Now that's a low stress lifestyle. Some people just know how to live!

A buddy of mine refuses to eat crustaceans, he calls them the "bugs" of the sea. I keep telling him that he has mental problems and he says the same about me for eating sea "bugs." :roll: I was born in Brunswick, ME while my dad was stationed at the Naval air base there and my dad claims that he pulled up one of his lobster pots once and caught a 28-pounder! I've never known my dad to lie but he does tend to embellish once in a while. :)

I think I heard Bobby Flay or one of the tv chefs call them "bugs". Pretty funny! I'll have to tell Paul about the 28 pounder. Wow!!

I read your post to Paul and he says late in the last century and early this century they were pulling up 48 pound lobsters! That was when people weren't harvesting them heavily as they are now. He also corrected me on Ralph's bread...He didn't make it there; he bought it from Portland. He ordered just enough to last the morning... :)

I use a rub that has,
kosher salt flakes
paprika
pepper
coriander coursely chrushed
mustard seed powder
celery seed
garlic powder
onion powder
cumin
thyme leaves,crushed
pinch of allspice
and for liquids,to this I add,Jack Daniels, alot,and liquid smoke,either hickory,or mesquite.

48 pound lobsters??!! I dont know whether to be afraid, or hungry.
2.gif

Spice Blends

One of my favorite rubs for poultry includes
Kosher Salt
dried orange peel
rubbed sage
fresh ground black pepper

If all that was in a bottle, I would buy it

Ruth

Here's a rub -

kosher salt flakes
paprika
pepper
coriander coursely chrushed
mustard seed powder
celery seed
garlic powder
onion powder
cumin
thyme leaves,crushed
pinch of allspice
and for liquids you can add Jack Daniels, and liquid smoke either hickory, or mesquite.

dry rub/back rub

KitchenElf-
Great combo! I am going to try that out!

Sushi- I have a friend in the Chicago area who could rub your back! Would that help? :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom