Housewarming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momma2chix

Assistant Cook
I was planning on just finger foods, but it is going to be from 4 until. So, I think I should cook a meal too. About 40 people are coming. Any suggestions. I was thinking a couple pans of stuffed shells, garlic bread, and a salad. Would that be to messy, considering most people will not have a place to sit. Also veggie plate, fruit plate, dips and things. Help?????????? Also, how many drinks will should I buy? Is there a rule like this many drinks per person and this amount of food per person?

If there's no place to sit.. I'd stick with fingerfoods. Pasta and salad are hard to eat while standing up. Plus there'd be a lot less clean up for you if ya didn't have to worry about forks and knives.

Congrats on your new home!

I agree. I wouldn't want to have a lot of messy food for a lot of people. The simpler and still good would be better for you and easier on everyone.

When is your housewarming? How much time do you have to devote? Will you have someone to help you make preparations? Are your guest teetotlers, or do you want to serve some alcoholic beverages as well?

I have done a lot of entertaing, and can give you some good ideas. I'll be back in the AM...gotta go pick a turkey carcass right now.

Constance said:
I have done a lot of entertaing, and can give you some good ideas. I'll be back in the AM...gotta go pick a turkey carcass right now.

Constance, hurry back from your carcass picking. We want to see your ideas. :LOL:

Are you picking out your bird for Thanksgiving? Just wondering - is it too soon, or should I wait?

(I couldn't resist.)

Last edited:
Finger food seems like that would be the way to go. Maybe some kind of wrap/roll-up that can be cut into bite size pieces and secured with a toothpick might work. Cheese cubes impaled on a thin pretzel stick (instead of a toothpick), melon wrapped with proscuitto (sp?) or plain melon cubes, pickles, olives, veggie tray, deviled eggs come to mind.

When I do a housewarming (and I've moved a lot, so have done a few in my time), I do something real simple and easy to do in bulk -- chili is a biggie for me. I NEVER do a full bar when I throw any kind of party. I buy a case or two of beer and a gallon or two of cheap wine. Since I often use chili, then I turn some of the wine into santgria and it is always a hit. Finger food made from scratch can be labor intensive, whereas the chili can be done a day or dozen in advance. You can always throw some grated cheese on a bag of tortilla chips and nuke for a minute or two for nachos, or make some chile con queso in your crock pot. In other words a Tex/Mex buffet is easy to do. You can do a taco bar (again, really easy to do in advance). Most of the time when I entertain, I have freinds bring a dish. But when it's a housewarming, I make all the food.

Got my turkey carcass picked...it was what was leftover from Sunday's "Smokin". The dog and I enjoyed it a lot, and I have a nice bowl of turkey bits for a soup.
Now...down to business.
I always like to have one item on my buffet that's very impressive. Everyone's favorite seemed to be my hors d'ouevre tree. Buy the largest styrofoam cone you can find, some medium-weight florist's wire, 6" skewers, and lots of ruffly leaf lettuce. Cut the wire into 3" pieces and bend in half like a hairpin. Starting at the bottom, pin the lettuce leaves to the cone until the whole thing is covered and looks like a little tree. When you get to the top, turn a pretty little ruffle of lettuce upright and pin it in place. At this point, you can slip the tree into a large garbage bag in keep in a cool place to the next day. Next cut cubes of ham, salami, and assorted cheeses. You'll also need chunked pickles, drained chunked pineapple, black & green olives and cherry tomatoes. Assemble your skewers with an assortment of 3 items, bag them up and refrigerate. The next morning, simply stick them all over the tree.
If you don't want to go to the trouble of making the tree, stick the skewers into a red cabbage, cauliflower or what have you, and set on a plate with leaf lettuce around the bottom.

Little sandwiches are great for stand-up eating. Ask your bakery to make you some "silver dollar rolls"...baby hamburger buns. Spread them with mayo, fill some with bits of sliced ham and others with turkey. Put a dab of leaf lettuce on top, and stick in a toothpick with an olive on top (opt).

Make a spread of braunsweiger, cream cheese and sliced olives. Spread on rye bread, and cut out a shape with a cookie cutter. If you don't like braunsweiger, use ham or tuna salad.

Make some baby creme puffs (the day before), and fill with chicken salad.

Make miniature crab quiches in muffin pans (use the paper liners). You can also do baby pecan tarts the same way.

More later...gotta get dressed.

That tree idea is fantastic, I've got to give it a try.

One thing I like to do is define the party for the guests on the invitation.

'Please join us for appetizers and drinks at 4 o'clock Saturday ..............'

Or 'Please join us for a buffet dinner on ....................'

This way the folks know what to expect.

I agree with other posters that I would keep away from anything that needs cutting, particularly if it contains tomato sauce or other stuff that stains, if there are not enough places to sit and eat.

Can always make warm food, sweet and sour meatballs for example, that can be made in advance and served in a crock pot. They are filling and need only a toothpick to eat.

A mound of little biscuit sandwiches with a slice of country ham in the center, or city ham will work too, always goes over big and a few can almost make a meal.

Once had to arrange a party at the last minute, and made an antipasto sorta thing from the grocery (no time to hit Costco, Sam's, or BJ's). It took very little time to put together and everyone loved it.

Was then going to follow with grilled steaks. Almost no one wanted one.

Think I would stick with the appetizer thing.

Thank you for all the great ideas!!!!!!! I wish I would have come here before I sent out the invitations, I would have done things a little differently. I have about a week to plan the menu.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom