Fresh Apple Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I was given this recipe many years ago from a retired navy pastry chef, who cooked for the big boys. It is rich and delicious, tastes even better after it sits for a day. I dice the apples by hand, but you might be able to do it in a food processer. I just wouldn't want to lose all that good juice from the apples.

Fresh Apple Cake

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsps baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
4 cups diced apple
1/4 cup oil
1 cup chopped nuts
FROSTING:
6 oz cream cheese
3 tbls butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Cream eggs and sugar. Add next 8 ingredients. Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 cegrees for 45 minutes. Let cool. Cream together cream cheese, butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla and powdered sugar. Spread on cake.

One of my favorites too, though I never used nuts in it, but sounds like a good idea to add.

TY, Constance, that is a cut/paste into my files.

By any chance, did your old Navy friend ever share the recipe for Navy Steamed Pudding? My old Sous Chef was a cook in and Navy, and still had all his recipe cards from his time in. We made Steamed Pudding once, and it was great!

What a great recipe to have on hand for the holidays! I'd bet if freezes (without the icing) well, and would probably keep a few days, too!

Lovely recipe, Connie!! We buy and consume lots of apples during the winter months, this is a sure thing to be tried!!:)

Thank you, constance! I copied/pasted into my recipe file. Can't wait to try it!!

No Allen, he didn't. He sure made a wonderful strudel, though.

It does keep well, Marm...for as long as it lasts. It's so rich and moist it's kind of like a fruitcake made with apples. I have also put raisins in it...soak in a cup of hot water first, then drain and add to batter.

Constance, if you want, I'll post the recipe for steamed pudding. However, it's in professional measurements which I'm going to have to convert to home use (calls for hotel pans full of stuff). Also, it really needs a professional steamer to cook it, although you might be able to rig something with a stock pot and a trivet inside the pot with a little water to generate steam.

I think a pressure cooker can be used to steam foods, such as puddings, cakes, etc. I believe I've read it in an instruction manual at one time or another.

Constance,
I made your apple cake for our family dinner on sunday...It was delicious...My DH took a huge piece to work today and planned to send some over to the other pharmacy to our partner...Thanks Connie, it was really good and one I'll use again and again.

kadesma

Connie, I just made this and it is fabulous!! Cris is working late and I wanted to wait until he came home but aaaargh the applecakepower was stronger than me I couldn't resist and I had a piece... mmmmm it is sooooo goood!!
I am so happy because while I was preparing the cake my usually faithful Braun food mixer was having a cow and wouldn't function (something Cris must check out besides the cake when he gets home..) so I had to use a hammer to crush the walnuts, when something goes awry like this, it is usually a bad omen for a disasterous result... then before I put it in the oven the mixture seemed very very dry and crumbly, I wanted to check with you or kadesma but neither of you guys were online so I just had to go ahead and pray for the best, riminding myself that the apples should emit lots of juice to moisten the whole thing...
63.gif

Well it came out and it was perfect, I also had to use a great deal of willpower not to touch it while it was cooling, telling myself that it would be so much better with the cream on top... (I used so much that once the cream was laid out, my will power just ran out!!)

For a note I used half/half of sugar and brown sugar, and mascarpone for the cream... the result was great!!
Thanks again Connie, I will be making this for many times over!!:)

I'm so glad you all enjoyed it...to get praise from my friends Kedesma and Maniac, is indeed a great compliment.
Maniac, I think your variations with the sugar and Mascarpone sounds fantastic.

I treasure recipes like this one...talk about food of love!

This looks delish, Constance... real comfort food. Saving it to my "must make" soon list. Thank you.

Bumping up because it is that getting to be that apple time of the year. We have tons of apples on the trees at the ranger station. We have 14 apple trees on the compound and the employees and public can pick as many apples as they want. So, I am always looking for different recipes using apples. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Constance.

Back
Top Bottom