Question to the fitness people.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I'm assuming that since the elliptical machine that I got is a low impact aerobics, and the treadmil is just a basic exercise. Then that is the answer to my question, but, wanted to ask to make sure anyway.
2 miles on the treadmill shows burning 450 calories
2 mile on the elliptical shows burning 850 calories.
I don't put much stock in these. I don't know whether to believe them or not.
Anyway, is my assumption the reason for such a huge difference in the calorie burned?
I know that when on the treadmill the only thing that hurts is my legs.
On this eilliptical the only things that DOESN'T hurt are my hands, feet and above my neck:LOL: I think this thing is a torture devise, but, I'm staying on it.
Okay, babbling now, going to bed. Good night all!

The elliptical machine works your upper body as well as your legs. You're using a lot more muscles, so it should be burning more calories than the treadmill.

Whether it's 450 and 850 I can't say.

almost double the amount of calories burned seems a little extreme. i would be more inclined to believe it if it was comparing a treadmill and something like swimming. i mean, after all, you are mostly using the same muscle groups with both machines.
but that said, the most important thing is torturing yoursel... i mean exercising, so good for you t.g..
keep at it. your son (and someday his kids, and maybe their kids) will have his mom in good health for many many years to come because of it.

It all depends on the intensity you put in the work. I would think you would have to run at the pace of at least 9 miles an hour to attain that rate on a treadmill, and I think 850cal for 2mile on the elliptical is a bit too exaggerated... when you are doing the aerobic exercise it is a good idea to monitor your heartrate, maintain about 70-80% of your maximum heartrate at the peak of your routine, avoid letting it go over 90%. Here is how to calcurate your target heart rate...
http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm

Even though I wouldn't worry too much over exactly how much calories I would burn for each workout personally, here is an indication about how much you would burn for each athletic activities...
http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Tx, I'm with you ... I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the numbers. I live in a vertical town, and believe me, a mile isn't a mile -- climbing is harder than just walking a flat surface. Elipticals have some climbing effect compared to a flat treadmill. 2-4 times a week I walk to friends' houses or to Main Street, and it is totally up and down hill. A mile or less. And it is a LOT harder than walking, say in Florida or North Dakota. I got very frustrated in that one hill I walk -- twice a week -- never seems to get easier. A friend told me to consider my "recovery time" rather than how difficult the hill is to climb. That made me feel better (it isn't any easier to climb the hill, but, in fact, by the time I hit the top, my breathing is fine within a few steps, whereas it used to take 20 minutes to recover). This is what I consider comperable to the eliptical as opposed to a regular treadmill. I find the eliptical much harder than a treadmill ... and I hate steppers. Guess I just need the fresh air.

Yea, I didn't believe the calorie thing in the first place. And Bucky, oh no, it works a LOT more muscle than the treadmill, just ask my body:LOL:
I'll just keep on it and not pay attention to the calories.
My heart rate is fine. The meds that I'm on slow my heart down anyway and when I feel like I'm gonna break, my pulse is only 144 bpm.
Thanks for your opinions, it's MUCH appreciated!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom