Question about stuffing/dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My husband spotted a stuffing recipe in the paper that he really wants me to fix. It's a sausage & mushroom stuffing with goat cheese, sour-dough bread, garlic, leeks, spices, herbs....all sounds good, right?
But then they call for 6 eggs and a quart of heavy cream. No broth.

So what do you all think? Have you ever heard of anything like this? Sounds like more of a savory bread pudding, to me.

Cooked in the bird? Or in a casserole? I've seen 'dressing' recipes like this that have a lot of eggs; in fact, some stuffing recipes have eggs in them, but you're right, this does sound like more of a bread pudding. Sounds yum, tho!

Marm, I just saw this. I've lots on my mind lately, so I'm about half-a-brick short.
This is cooked in a pan, separate from the turkey.
I don't do the stuffing-in-the-turkey thing. I like that crisp bottom, brown top, and juicy insides that you get from doing it in a pan.

That's what I wondered, Licia. I think I'll use my regular basic dressing recipe and just change the ingredients around to include goodies that caught HB's eye.

I dont think I'd do the eggs and cream. At least not for Thanksgiving, try it on a night when making something that turns out icky doesnt matter so much lol! I think I'd do what your doing, add the things that he thinks he'd like from the recipe to your regular ones. He probably doesnt know that you dont normally put eggs and cream in it!

I agree with jtl. Don't make something new for Thanksgiving. It could be disappointing. I know my family is looking for their traditional favorites this time of year but on any other night it might be great.

All the ingredients sound delish to me, Constance. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

It does indees sound like a savoury bread pudding...and probably real good. So when ya try it, tell us about it. thanks

The cornbread dressing that we always have had around my house (parents' house- I haven't hosted a Thanksgiving at my place yet... :p) IS basically a savory bread pudding. Take day-old cornbread (be sure you don't use the sweet kind that some people think is the way to go), biscuits too if you feel like it, and grind all that up into a medium coarse powder/crumble, then add eggs and some turkey drippings, sage and poultry seasoning to taste. Dump in a big roasting pan, bake until set and the top is the level of GBD that you like.

Tada- dressing. I don't know on the cream- that sounds a little off to me. We always just use the turkey drippings (it doesn't take much) as the liquid in ours- the rest gets turned into giblet gravy, which then goes on top of the dressing.

It's my favorite food. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom