Homemade Kahlua

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BMJakmauh

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe for homemade kahlua that is made with instant coffee. After you have "cooked it", it says to let it cool before adding the liquor. What temperature should I let it cool to before adding the liquor, and what would happen if I add it too soon?

I made this about two years ago, and didn't really care for the instant coffee taste, so this year I decided to brew the coffee, using a better brand of coffee (I just happened to decide on Seattle's Best French Roast Dark Roast) and basically made it the same way. I like it much better than the instant coffee method. I let it cool to almost room temperature before I added the liquor and it is yummy.

I just was curious what is the best temperature to add liquor. Someone said if I add it when the mix is too hot that the liquor will evaporate. I wouldn't want to spoil a whole pot of Kahlua, and just wanted to be more informed.

Thank you.

I'd use room temp coffee.

Can we see your recipe? One can never have too many ways
to make kaluha!

Welcome to DC, BMJjakmauh! I would say room temp or cold, also. I would guess the heat may assist the evaporation of the alcohol! Not happy mudslide!

I kind of just winged-it from the instant coffee recipe, so here goes.

Take 2 gallons of fresh brewed coffee heated to a boil. (Actually I did not truly boil because I was afraid to scorch the coffee). Slowly add and stir in 10 pounds of sugar and cook about 10 minutes. Let cool. Stir in 16 oz (two 8-oz bottles) of Mexican Vanilla and two 1.75 liter bottles of EverClear. Let stand for 2-4 hours before bottling.

That's it. From this, however, I refilled the 1.75 bottles of Ever Clear and filled twelve 750 ml bottles, so this makes quite a bit of Kahlua. You could make a half recipe for a smaller batch.

Also, I had my friends save their liquor bottles for me to use for the bottling of the Kahlua. Rinse the liquor bottles out and make sure they are dried out on the inside before using for bottling.

This was a big hit 2 years ago as a gift to our friends at the holidays.

Last edited:
I made an error when I posted the original recipe. It should be two 1.75 liter bottles of EverClear. Sorry for the mistake. Bonnie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom