Oiling my new bamboo cutting board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I just bought my first wood cutting board. It is a bamboo board and I love the look of it. I know all about oiling boards, but as this is my first wood board this is the first time I have actually oiled one. Last night I took my roasting pan and poured some mineral oil on the bottom and then put the board in. I then poured oil on top. There was a thick layer sitting right on top of the entire surface. I figured this morning when I woke that some, if not all of the oil would have soaked in, but when I checked it looked like nothing had happened.

Should I have seen a difference in the amount of oil on the board? Should it been obvious that it soaked up some of it? I know this process can take a while so I am not trying to rush it, but I just expected to see something different.

Here is the board I got by the way.

Hi, GB - here's what the "masters" recommend (and part of a researched article I did on it a few weeks ago). My words, my copyright:"Now that the board is home, you will need to season it. Mineral oil or butcher block oil are the recommended options. Do not use olive or vegetables oils as, over time, they will sour. Gently warm the oil before using. The initial seasoning process will take a couple of days to treat both sides properly. Add a coat of oil on the flat surface, let it soak in for about 30 minutes, and wipe up the excess with a dry cloth. Repeat the coating, soaking, wiping process six times."

Thanks Tex. I did it a completely different way. I did not heat the oil and just let it soak. Maybe wiping it on and off once warmed is the way to go.

If you decide to try that, let me know how it goes. I may need to adjust the article accordingly for bamboo. Our old board is about to bite the dust and we're going to be in the market for a nicer board soon! I've been researching all those fun boards.

(P.S. I got worried that the copyright comment sounded snippy - I just wanted you to be sure I wasn't stealing someone else's words. :ohmy: )

When I got home last night it looks like some of the oil has absorbed into the board so i decided to stick with this method for now. This morning I checked again and it looked like it had absorbed even more.

Back
Top Bottom