Mini Phyllo Pecan Pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC, smilineyes!!
Someone will have the right answer for you shortly, lots of knowledgeable people here. Just wanted to welcome you!

9.gif

Hi Smilineyes, I love your name.

Welcome to our little world.
I'm not sure of the baking time or temp you should use but
I see no reason why pecan phyllo pies wouldn't work. I'm not a big
pie crust eater but love phyllo. I'd give it a shot.

I've never seen pre-baked phyllo cups. The closest thing I've seen is unbaked puff pastry shells.

I have seen the mini phylo cups but I can't remember where! At a home and Garden show this year a woman at an appliance booth made delightful snacks with squares of phylo dough cut to fit the mini pans and filled with a bit of ham and cheese then baked at 350 for about 10 minutes. Hope this helps!

My only hesitation would be that the pecan filling takes a while to bake, so as to 'set up' the sugars in it (see the 'runny pecan pie' thread below, in pies). I'm afraid the phyllo would burn.

An alternative would be to mix up a little of the filling (say 1/4 of your recipe), cook it on the stovetop, and see how it looks - does it thicken like regular pecan pie?

If so, you could then just add the pecans, fill your phyllo cups, and bake for maybe 15 minutes at 350.

I use the mini pie shells to make my mini pecan pies. I've used the phylo shells in the past, but only for shorter baking times. There will probably be some recipes on the box to give you an idea what would be okay.

marmalady said:
My only hesitation would be that the pecan filling takes a while to bake, so as to 'set up' the sugars in it (see the 'runny pecan pie' thread below, in pies). I'm afraid the phyllo would burn.

An alternative would be to mix up a little of the filling (say 1/4 of your recipe), cook it on the stovetop, and see how it looks - does it thicken like regular pecan pie?

If so, you could then just add the pecans, fill your phyllo cups, and bake for maybe 15 minutes at 350.

I concurr with Marmalady. Mke you pecan pie filling on the stovetop and wehn done, spoon into the pre-cooked phyllo cups. The filling, while hot, will still be runny enough to work with. Just be sure to stier frequently, even continuously over medium heat to prevent scorching the sugar.

Think of the pecan pie filling as a caramel, with egg and flavorings, mixed with pecans. That's what it really is, candy in a crust. The same methods used for making stove-top caramel would apply.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom