Successful Thanksgiving dinner with pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Our Thanksgiving meal was a huge success. We fried a turkey for the first time and man was it good. It cooked a lot quicker than we expected though. It is a good thing we decided to check the temp early. It was a 15+ lb bird and it only took 40 minutes to cook. Actually it probably should have been pulled out at about 30 minutes. It was overcooked according to the temp, but you never would have known it by taste. It was plenty juicy and delicious. We lucked out because it was snowing in the morning and supposed to turn to rain. We had some tarps we were going to set up, but thankfully the rain held off so we didn't need them.

OK here are some pictures. One is of he bird whole. One is of it being carved. One is of my plate. And the last is of my pride and joy eating the mashed potatoes (her first ever) that her daddy made :chef:

Attachments

• turkey1.jpg
    turkey1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 253
  • turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 279
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 266
  • Rachel.jpg
    Rachel.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 256
Looks delicious, GB!
Isn't fried turkey the best? I think they are more juicy than baked. DH is frying me one Sunday since we didn't have enough at my sisters to bring home leftovers. Congratulations! Great job!

Thanks TG. It really was so good. We will be doing this a lot more in the future. My MIL said she needs to buy a fryer (and keep it at my place) now :)

ugh! I am stuffed, but those pics make me hungry all over again! And what a beautiful little girl!! Happy you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Looks great GB!! Congrats, it makes great left over turkey sandwiches too (if there is any left):)

Thanks Andy! I am a bit biased, but I do think she is the most beautiful little girl I have ever seen :mrgreen:

GB said:
Thanks Andy! I am a bit biased, but I do think she is the most beautiful little girl I have ever seen :mrgreen:

I understand how you feel, GB, I think my son is just the cutest boy alive. You have a beautiful daughter, I'm so glad I finally got to see a picture of her. It's great your turkey turned out so well too! I've been wondering about those fryers.

GB said:

Any parents can be excused for that, but Raechel has a very good reason for your comment!! She is soooo lovely!!
And your dinner comes close to that, too... yummmmm!! Btw. just curious, with a fried bird, how did you make the gravy?

Major congrats... things ended up really good on this side too with Jenny making a bacon topped turkey that was jucier than any I had ever eaten... the dark meat was literally like roast beef.

corazon you certainly have the market on cute boys. He is so very cute!

Licia, gravy was a concern of mine as that is my favorite part of the meal usually LOL. Mom was a bit concerned as well. What she ended up doing was buying some gravy from the turkey farm down the street. Their gravy is amazing to begin with so we were all OK with that. Mom also did something with the giblets and made a gravy out of those, but I am not exactly sure what she did. I will have to find out. I do know that any juice that came out of the bird while carving was poured into the giblet gravy.

Lugaru, bacon topped turkey sounds amazing (although so do bacon topped beef or bacon topped fish, bacon topped ice cream...:) ). I will have to try that some day.

GB said:
Licia, gravy was a concern of mine as that is my favorite part of the meal usually LOL. Mom was a bit concerned as well. What she ended up doing was buying some gravy from the turkey farm down the street. Their gravy is amazing to begin with so we were all OK with that. Mom also did something with the giblets and made a gravy out of those, but I am not exactly sure what she did. I will have to find out. I do know that any juice that came out of the bird while carving was poured into the giblet gravy.

I am glad that you had the turkey farm with the excellent gravy near by!! I was just hoping you didn't have to resort to the mcCormicks powdered mix!!:mrgreen:

GB, just read your turkey thread and saw your pics - Yum, I have a fryer I have never used yet. Was wondering have you done many more- that was 2005 ! ?

No we have not done any more since then. It was my brothers fryer and he did use it a number of times (without me :mad:) for frying everything under the sun, including mashed potatoes. He and his fiance have been spending Thanksgiving going on cruises lately and while he offered the fryer to us to borrow we have not been able to take him up on the offer for various reasons.

I use my two for hot holidays. As in the upcoming 4th.
One is for frying, the other for boiling (lobster, corn)

I love the turkey, but yes, no stuffing, and no gravy.
But we don't eat that heavy down here when it this hot.
So we don't really miss it.

And yes, that bacon covered turkey sounds too good.
I could eat turkey every week.

Thanks, Barb L, for bring the thread out of the archives.

Back
Top Bottom