An unusual request for help from my US friends here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
I have a dear epal in Tempe, Arizona. Was chatting with her on messenger tonight. She said that her dog had died in her lap tonight/today. She was very distressed. The main problem is that she is physically incapable of burying the dog herself. She has spent much of the past 3 months in hospital for various illnesses. She also has no family that keeps in touch.

I suggested to her about asking the Salvation Army for help in digging a grave in her backyard, but she replied that they are worse than the pound, and would probably throw the body into a heap somewhere. I personally found this hard to believe, as the 'Salvos' here are so compassionate, and would not view this as an unreasonable request. But then I cant really judge your country or customs. I also suggested to her some other community service clubs such as Apex or Lions for help.

I really dont know what else to do this end. I dont want to 'push' the issue, but on the other hand wish I could send someone to her house to help out.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Tell her to call one of her local churches or vet clinics and ask them for help. It's possible that they can do it or help her find someone that can. I'm two states from her or I would go myself!!!

She could maybe ask one of the neighbors for help.

Cameron

I don't know what the Salvation Army is like in Tempe, but I have nothing but respect for everyone I have ever dealt with in the Salvation Army in California and other areas I've been. My mom and dad even got married at a Salvation Army chapel. Like TexasGirl and Cameron said, a church or neighbors would be sure to help. How sad for your friend. If I lived closer (I'm over 2,00 miles from there), I would be glad to do it.

:) Barbara

I'd call a local veterinarian or church group as mentioned above. I'm not sure if a vet's place would come out to bury the dog, but they may cremate for free if funds are an issue. So sorry about the dog, they are like family.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I hadn't even thought of a church or vet clinic.I'm off to email her right now with those suggestions.

This pulls at my heart strings...please let us know how this is taken care of, my love to her and you for worrying about a friend so far away.
Marge~Dove

Aww, I agree with Dove, that story really tugs at your heart, and I can totally feel for your poor friend. I have some health issues too and am so grateful that I have the help of my DH for tasks that require a lot of physical labour.

Another thought would be to call the local fire department and see if they could possibly spare a pair of strong arms for an hour. I know that might seem silly, but if she lives in a rural or small town area the fire department will likely be used to getting much stranger requests all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom