This is what happens when you get lazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Now you ahve to understand, my turkeys are somewhat famous among my family members. They are always so juicy and tender, and are perfectly colored. I am the person picked to cook the turkey every year.

This year, on Saturday, we had a 2nd Thanksgiving meal as my eldest daughter and her husband both had to work on Thanksgiving and couldn't be there for the meal. It may be Jessica's last Thanksgiving meal with us as she and Roland may be moving out west after university is out this spring.

I made one simple change, purely a thing of laziness, when roasting Saturday's turkey. I didn't cover the breast meat with aluminum foil, shiny side out. I cooked it to 155 before removing it from the oven, as I always do, I let it rest before carving. All the sides dishes were done on time.

The resultof not covering the breast meat was white meat, that while not as dry as cardboard, was somewhat drier than is the norm for my turkeys. Everyone commented that this year's turkey just wasn't as juicy and tender as usual, and asked what I'd done different. They were grascious about it, and it really didn't affect the day. We had worked together, and enjoyed each other tremendously.

The meal was generally very good. The company, which included my children (their married partners automatically become one of my own as soon as they marry into the family) and a boyfreind, was the best company a person could ask for. There was laughter, love, and we tried new things that came out very well (we played with a couple different kinds of winter squash), and had a wonderful time. I just wish the turkey could have been perfect. I wish I'd given them my best.

And thus, I learned once more, the few moments it takes to do things right insure a perfect turkey. When you take shortcuts, you are gambling with your success, and the quality of what you are serving to those you love.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

They didn't complain and you all enjoyed each others company. To me, that is the perfect day, Goodweed!
Though the turkey wasn't up to your standards, you all had fun and that's the most important thing. I'm glad your day was so wonderful!

I agree Goodweed, the day was perfect even if the bird wasn't. That's how we learn. Besides I'm sure everyone appreciated all the hard work you did. I don't think you were lazy at all!:)

I'm sorry. I wan't feeling bad at all about the day. It was perfect. The point I was trying to make was that an extra minuteor two of time was the difference between a perfect turkey and a so-so turkey. If I had taken the time to cover the turkey breast, and then removed it for the last twenty minutes of cooking time, the turkey would have been of braggin' quality.

Alton Brown had an episode, a couple years back, where he explained that the white meat cooked faster than the dark meat. So, to prevent overcooking the white meat, he placed foil, shiney side out, over the breast meat to reflect heat away from that part of the bird. I added that bit of info to what I already knew about turkey and came up with a technique that produced perfect turkeys every time.

I was in a hurry and forgot to use the foil. The result was less than perfect. I was dissapointed in myself, that's all. Everything else abouot the day was incredible.

That's why I posted the thread.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I started used the Reynold's cooking bags several years ago, and now I would never do a turkey any other way. Like you said about the foil, it takes a little time to get it in the bag, but I always get a nice juicy turkey every time now.

Glad your Thanksgiving was a good one!

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom