Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cakes & Cupcakes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Cake Mixes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/cake-mixes-17012.html)

sarah 11-27-2005 03:08 PM

Cake Mixes

i never use cake mixes,always like to make my own cakes from scratch,yesterday i was doing my groceries,and i dont know why i picked up this red velver cake mix,made it when i got home and frosted it with my fav choc fudge frosting,and when i finally sat down to eat,it tasted really bad,it sucked,hubby didnt like it either,i'm gonna throw all of it...i have also tried a white cake mix few months back,didnt like it either,yellow cake is better though,not great but ok!
is it just me or is there anyone else too who doesnt liek box cakes?

daisy 11-27-2005 03:14 PM

I guess it's what you're used to, really. I don't buy cake mixes and prefer to make my own from scratch. I won't even look at recipes calling for '1 box X cake mix' or '1 packet Y instant pudding', either. That's my preference. If you're going to cook something, and make a mess of the kitchen, you might as well do proper job of it!!

sarah 11-27-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy
I guess it's what you're used to, really. I don't buy cake mixes and prefer to make my own from scratch. I won't even look at recipes calling for '1 box X cake mix' or '1 packet Y instant pudding', either. That's my preference. If you're going to cook something, and make a mess of the kitchen, you might as well do proper job of it!!

yeah i know,i dont look at such recipes either,i dont know why i bought that mix yesterday...:chef:

Ishbel 11-27-2005 04:36 PM

I remember making a cake from a box when I was about 12 or 13 - it tasted so horrible, I've never used another package mix!

sarah 11-27-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishbel
I remember making a cake from a box when I was about 12 or 13 - it tasted so horrible, I've never used another package mix!

you know there are people who never bake from scratch,use mixes all the time,maybe if you ask them,they'd say they once tried baking some thing from scratch,and it tasted so horrible,they've never tried to do that again.:lol:

no offence to any one,just kidding....

cartwheelmac 11-27-2005 05:00 PM

We don't use them because scratch is more fun.

Grace

Constance 11-27-2005 05:32 PM

I do both. I have some really good cake recipes that start with a box.

texasgirl 11-27-2005 05:35 PM

I don't really like cake, I'll eat it, but, it's not something I want all the time.
As for the pudding mixes, I'm like Constance with the cake mix on that one, I have several recipe with instant pudding in them that are good.

SierraCook 11-27-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constance
I do both. I have some really good cake recipes that start with a box.

Constance, I agree. I prefer to make my cakes from scratch, but sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day to do everything and make a cake.

Chocoholic 11-27-2005 07:19 PM

Chocolate From the Cake Mix Doctor is a great cookbook for things like this. It starts with a regular cake mix and adds stuff to make it taste more yummyful. :cool: