Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Disposing of Oil... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/disposing-of-oil-17038.html)

mugsy27 11-28-2005 11:23 AM

Disposing of Oil...

what do you guys do with the big 5 gal. drums of peanut oil after your done with them?

Or even a smaller (say 1 gal) container of veg. oil??

I assume I cant just dump in down the sink..and I dont think the garbage man will take it... :wacko:

letscook 11-28-2005 11:32 AM

I always pour into the container it came in an put in to the trash. Make sure the top can't come off and the big container i put into smaller containers and put in the trash. when I use lard or crisco i buy some bird seed and mix it in put a string through it and the birds love it. sorry I hit a wrong key before i finished the one above

Andy M. 11-28-2005 12:10 PM

It's not a good idea to pour large quantities of oil down the drain. It will accumulate inside the pipes and cause clogs.

I also put the oil in a container and put it out with the trash.

pdswife 11-28-2005 12:24 PM

... I don't deep fry anything so I've never had this problem... but since it's food... couldn't you just find a place outside to dump it?

Andy M. 11-28-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdswife
... I don't deep fry anything so I've never had this problem... but since it's food... couldn't you just find a place outside to dump it?

Hmmm. I wonder how many critters you'd attract?

pdswife 11-28-2005 12:33 PM

for us attracting critters ( Lions and tigers and BEARS, oh my!!)
is a good thing.

But, in some areas that might be a big problem....

Schadenfreude 11-28-2005 01:07 PM

Usually I just pour drippings and oil into a large glass jar, and when full, I put it out next to my recycling bin and they pick it up.

ronjohn55 11-28-2005 01:28 PM

If you regularly have larger quantities of leftover oil, you could also look into bio-diesel. If it's only a bit here and there, then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

John

Constance 11-28-2005 05:23 PM

We save the container the oil came in for disposal.
We save bacon grease to use in cooking. I'll try the thing with the birdseed. We feed the birds all winter, and have all kinds of wonderful little visitors.

I have to be careful about putting food out though. I used to put all sorts of crumbs, grease and such out on the deck for the critters. HB kept telling me that if I kept it up, we'd have rats.
Then one winter morning, he called me to come look...On the deck just outside the patio door, sat a fat little brown wood rat, munching away on some old dried beans I'd tossed out. :w00t2:
He scurried away under the deck when I knocked on the glass, and HB immediately put a cake of D-Con under there for him. Of course, we wouldn't have to worry in the summer time...the rat snakes love it under my deck.

Robo410 11-28-2005 05:36 PM

large quantities of oil should be recycled not dumped. call a restaurant in your area and see what they do.