Potato recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jikoni

Sous Chef
How do you like your potatoes? chips, fritters, boiled, or a little bit more with the dish you are having.Here is my favorite one.

Garlic potatoes

Butter,
Potatoes(cubed)
Garlic
Lots of grated chedder cheese
^Half as much of parmesan
Fresh rosemary

Heat butter in pan, add potatoes and garlic, stir until golden brown, transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish, sprinkle with both cheeses and rosemary, and bake until potato gets tender.

Whoooaaaa Sizzles that sounds soooo good!!!! We love potatoes too in just about every form, this will surely to be tried...

A few of our fave ways to enjoy potatoes are...

-cube them, coat with evoo, salt and rosemary and grill in the oven
-dice and lightly boil them, then sautè with chopped scallion, garlic, and bell pepper seasoned with salt and paprica
-make a mashed potatoes combined with mashed pumpkins and grated parmigiano, and a touch of nutmeg
-spanish tortilla, sort of omelette with diced potatoes and scallions
-potato croquettes
-our recent discovery...recreation of Shakey's mo-jo potatoes

I love garlic mashed potatoes too but I don't put any cheese in mine.
Love Fresh made french fries too!

I never saw a potato I didn't like, with one exception. We had dinner at a fine restaurant last spring, and they served what they called "Italian Potatoes". They were in a creamy sauce and looked delicious until I took a bite, and discovered that they were sauteed with fennel. I can't stand anything with a liquorice flavor.

Mashed taters are by far my favorite. For standard taters, I use 1 stick of butter per 8 or so potatoes (depending on size, 8 - 10, though I did use 12 small once). Mash that all together then add a bit of milk/cream to smooth it out.

My all time favorite recipe I've found so far for mashed taters is a recipe from the WWF/WWE Cookbook. Haven't made it for a while, so I can't remember the details, but it was basically red potatoes (skin on), garlic, some butter I think, and cream. Yum!

How about spicy potatoes. Potatoes are boiled and then cubed. In a pan add oil, when the oil is hot add whole brown mustard seeds, whole cumin seeds a finely chopped green chilli and curry leaves (optional but highly recommended - all these ingredients are available in an Indian store). Next add the potatoes followed by a little turmeric powder and salt. Stir the spices in the potatoes and cover and let it cook on low for 20 minutes or so. Finish with a squeeze of one whole lime and cilantro, stir once again slightly and serve with naan or roti.

Most of my American friends love this so I thought I'd share this recipe.

Yakuta,
your recipe sounds delicious..I've never tried cooking with curry leaves or cumin seeds...But, I think I'd like to give it a try..Thanks for sharing your recipe..

kadesma:)

Yakuta your recipe looks enticing... as soon as I saw your name I also realised I forgot about varieties of aloo dishes!! Do you have your favourite aloo?

I like the Irish Colcannon - mashed potatoes with cabbage

The Scots variation is to serve 'chappit tatties and neeps'. Mashed potatoes, with boiled and mashed Swede (rutabaga is similar).

Or what about Hasselbak (sp?) potatoes?

Use medium-sized, oval-shaped potatoes, butter, salt crystals.

Preheat the oven to 200'C. Wash the potatoes and you can peel or leave the skin on, whichever you prepare. Dry them off. Cut cut across the thin width of the potatoes, making quite thin slices but don't cut quite through so they still hold together like the pages of a book. Place them in a roasting tin, sprinkle with salt and dot generously with knobs of butter. Bake for 40 minutes, basting regularly with the melted butter in the tray. The shape fans out slightly during the cooking process.

(When my family were young, they and their friends used to call this 'hedgehog tatties'! I sometimes put little peppercorns in the 'front' end like eyes, so they looked even more like hedgehogs!

Ishbel said:

The Scots variation is to serve 'chappit tatties and neeps'. Mashed potatoes, with boiled and mashed Swede (rutabaga is similar).
Hi Ishbel,
I've heard of colcannon and want to make some..Can you point me in the right ratio direction please?

kadesma:)

Ishbel said:
Or what about Hasselbak (sp?) potatoes?

Use medium-sized, oval-shaped potatoes, butter, salt crystals.

Preheat the oven to 200'C. Wash the potatoes and you can peel or leave the skin on, whichever you prepare. Dry them off. Cut cut across the thin width of the potatoes, making quite thin slices but don't cut quite through so they still hold together like the pages of a book. Place them in a roasting tin, sprinkle with salt and dot generously with knobs of butter. Bake for 40 minutes, basting regularly with the melted butter in the tray. The shape fans out slightly during the cooking process.

This is very close to a potatoe dish we made at the catering company I used to work at. it was probably our most requested item. They were called (santa anna potatoes). We had a press similiar to a french fry press that would allow us to do the slicing in large volume ( sometimes up to 50 of 2" chafing dishes) . We then placed the potaoes whole, peeled and sliced in the dish &
filled it half with melted butter and half water. In a 350 degree oven for @
75 minutes. About half an hour before being done we would sprinkle a generous portion of parmesan cheese on top and finish till there was a golden
brown crust on top. Sometimes more liquid would have to be added due to
absorbtion and evaporation. They are fantastic as leftovers ( especially for
breakfast with eggs). I bought a press like this one just to be able to these at home quickly. http://www.thane.com/html/products/kbh/lepresse/lepresse.html but it is not
necessary to do a small batch.

Here's my family recipe for Rumbledethumps (the Scottish version of colcannon!) which I posted a while back. Also recipe for clapshot, which is the tatties and neeps mentioned above!

Rumbledethumps

Ingredients : 1 lb (500 g) potatoes, cooked and mashed; 1 lb (500 g) cabbage, cooked; 2 oz (50 g) butter; 1 medium onion, finely chopped; 2 oz (50 g) grated cheese; some chopped chives

Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onion. Cook for about 5 mins, without browning. Add potatoes, chives and cabbage and mix together. Season well and put into a pie dish. Cover with cheese and brown under the grill or in the oven. Serve hot.

And then there's clapshot
Which is equal parts mashed, creamed potatoes and swede (the large orange turnips that I think may be called rutabaga in America), which is also known as 'chappit tatties and neeps' and is the traditional accompaniment to haggis.
user_invisible.gif

Wow, looks like I will have to cook my potatoes differently every week with all these lovely recipes. Here is a Swiss potato gratin

Mash potatoes, add butter and cream. Fry lardons separately, add chopped onions and parsely, then mix with mashed potato, sprinkle gruyere cheese on top and put in the oven for 4 to 5 mins (well, until the cheese melts nicely just the way you feel is enough)

Ishbel said:

I'm a fan of colcannon when it's made with leeks or green onions as I'm not the biggest fan of cabbage. It's a bit untraditional, but a little cheddar or other similar cheese thrown in is really nice too :)

Rimbledethumps uses cheese. The cabbage we call 'spring greens' here is best in both colcannon and rumbledethumps - I like the slightly bitter flavour better than the bland white cabbage.

Back
Top Bottom