Need recommendations for a mandoline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mandoline Search Benriner Japanese Mandoline

I love my Benriner. I got it as a present years ago. Now that it is time to purchase a new one, I found them available online at Benriner.com and the shipping was free. Yeah!!:chef:
http://benriner.com/

Many to choose from

I have several. I not only use them at work, but I use them at home also. You can get a "V" Cutter like others members have talked about, they are limited as to what they can do. You can also buy a professional one made from stainless steel like a "Bron" (brand name) for $130.00 on up. There is another one that works great and is much cheaper it's called a Japanese Mandoline. It's made out a plastic composite and is very heavy duty. It comes with several size cutting blades for various jobs. You can find this one on line or at most Asian markets for about $20.00. I personally think this is the best for the money.

Mark:chef:

thanks again everyone for you replies.

as i've mentioned, i recieved the oxo good grips mandoline. i've used it a several times, and it works quite well. i would have liked a fauncier stainless european model, but it would have been overkill for my usage.

the oxo is super simple to use and clean. just fold it out, adjust the blade for thickness or julienne, and away you go. then just rinse and wipe, fold, and it's out of the way.

i've used it to make extremely thin lettuce, onion and tomato slices for sandwiches/burgers, medium slices of onion to go with the kraut for kielbasi, or slicing fennel and onion for stuffing whole trout, and thick slices of veggies for the grill.
and the julienne settings are great for veggies for a stir fry. it would take me too long to use a knife to get that kind size and uniformity, but the oxo zips right thru it.

Hello,

This is my first post here - so first off, glad to meet you all!

I'm looking for advice on whether to buy a straight-blade or v-blade mandoline. I live in Spain and have come across an online shop here selling De Buyer mandolines. The v-blade is significantly more expensive, but I can imagine myself gouging out central channels rather than cutting evenly. Is this a risk? Any advice on which I should go for?

Thanks.

I think it would all depend on your personal preferences.

And to do this, you'd have to try both to see which one is right for you. You might want to get a couple of cheapies, one with the V-shaped blade and one with the straight blade, if you can.

~Corey123.

Thanks for the reply, Corey 123. In the end I was too impatient and just went ahead and bought the straight-blade version. I had a small Benriner that I bought years ago but this De Buyer is a giant in comparison. A few practice potatoes and I reckon I'll be slicing and julienning like a pro soon.

Bought the De Buyer. Comes with a big round pusher protector as standard. Surprisingly, the place I bought it included the very long protector as well in the price (€130 including delivery from the Spanish online site cocinarencasa - a bargain compared with what I've seen it going at on sites in the US by the time you take the long pusher into account). Amazing tool. If you've never bought a mandoline because you're worried about losing the tips of your fingers, check out this one. If you use either of the pushers, you're unlikely to have an accident. While waiting for it to arrive, I'd been pricing up kevlar and steel mesh gloves but they're absolutely unnecessary. The blades are very easy to change as well. The only quibble I have is that setting the plate needs more care than I'd expected to get it to sit flat. As someone with very small hands and arthritis, the round pusher seems a bit big in the palm as well but not unusable. Other than that, I'm extremely pleased.

I am rather a newbie to the world of mandoline, which we just bought about a month ago... yesterday I learned a painful lesson to use the safety handle before it is too late... (rubbing on my bandaged middle finger which is tempted to stick itself out to the offender...)

I learned that sad mistake with mine last year.

Keep ALL fingers on the food holder and NEVER let any of them stick out.
I use mine now and then, but my powerful K'Aid Pearl metallic Food Processor can also quickly handle slicing veggies in short order.

Corey123.

Last edited:
We have a Benriner ....advertised...it will process any kind of vegetable into thin slices. New double possible blade. Cabbage wil be cut in half and sliced with flat blade only. Made in Japan. Can't read more of the foreign writing.
Works great and very easy to clean. AND has a finger guard. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom